Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilts for Kids - Have you changed up the pattern? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilts-kids-have-you-changed-up-pattern-t28947.html)

dunster 11-18-2009 06:39 PM

I just finished one of their tops 2 days ago. Some of the 3.5" strips were cut badly, but fortunately they were too large in areas, so I was able to trim them down. They probably have different volunteers doing the cutting, and some are more accurate than others.

topper1 11-19-2009 11:15 AM

yes ive changed and added to material they dont care. i just go 3 kits yesterday cant wait to dig in

Calico Grammy 11-19-2009 11:56 AM

Mine was absolutely perfect! Guess I was lucky. Finished a second quilt from my stash,getting ready to quilt them! Wish me luck, I'm new at the quilting part! Gona do something VERY simple.

Edie 11-19-2009 12:10 PM

I am finishing up my third one and they have all been four patch. I was hoping for a DNP or a Pinwheel. I tried it with the binding this time. I like the double binding and this is just a single. Won't do that again. I suppose the best bet is the pillowcase style! If any of you got the frog one the backside is adorable. I am now starting on the cowboy cows.

I do have to find a cheaper way of sending these quilts. I can't afford to send them as often as I would like to make them. Any suggestions??????
Post Office charges $7.02 to mail one! I thought I had read somewhere that you could mail in two for the same price as one! Did I dream that?

I am having fun with these, but it is getting hard to send them at that price.

Edie

topper1 11-19-2009 12:44 PM

i would like to send cheaoer too but dont know how

MonicaLW 11-19-2009 01:27 PM

I have done 3 all four patch and one more to do. When I send my own I do a different pattern. I mailed three out today (I could have fit four maybe five and really should have) in a priority box to recycle the box I had, it cost $12.70....... If I had used a plain box it would have been $10.50. It could be more cost effective if you are sending more than one. My kits have all been measured and cut pretty close so no problems there.

marta 11-19-2009 01:37 PM

Take heart! I also started Q for Kids and mis-read the directions, and had used all of the border fabric in the process. I called and they said not to worry about it; just make it and it will be okay.
They said the only 2 problems they have are people who get a kit and don't return it, and using too heavy a batting.
So, I am finishing mine with the wrong blocks sprinkled in the quilt, and it is okay. I am using double flannel sheet, which isn't as heavy as the batting, but I didn't have the right size, and our Wal-Mart was low on everything in batting, and didn't have the weight they mentioned.
So, don't worry about it, as it will be fine!
[email protected]
Martha Tompkins
marta--log-in-name.

Quilt Mom 11-19-2009 01:39 PM

I finished piecing a quilt kit from quilts for kids, and then dug into my stash for appropriate fabrics for more quilts. The fabric they sent was a little off in size, but not so much as to make a difference. I am ready to quilt - the real challenge, as I hand quilt most of my projects. But I couldn't resist the chance to help out.

Edit - Thanks, Marta, for the idea of flannel for batt. Our local store is out, as there has been a sale recently!

brendadawg 11-19-2009 01:59 PM

I'm hoping to find a more economical way to ship them also. I sent 2 yesterday and it cost over $9.00. That was for Priority mail, which was only 50 cents more than parcel post.

ywilma 11-19-2009 02:30 PM

I just finished a quilt for kids kit. I followed the pattern they wanted. My pieces were cut exactly as they should be.