Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilts and Room Fresheners (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilts-room-fresheners-t295868.html)

cathyvv 03-31-2018 02:02 PM

And the "elsewhere" includes your lungs.

cathyvv 03-31-2018 02:11 PM

I don't worry about the fabric, either. But please note that the oils can coat the lung cells. Over time, the oil coating makes it difficult to breathe. It happened to my sister in law, only she just coated the outside of her nostrils (dry skin) once a day, with mineral oil. Cumulative affect of doing that (and unknowingly breathing in oil molecules) for years resulted in difficulty breathing. After all kinds of medical tests with negative results, a dr finally ordered a lung biopsy. The air sacs in the lungs were coated with oil. They could not take in oxygen or took in reduced amounts. She is in her 60's and tethered to an oxygen machine.

cathyvv 03-31-2018 02:40 PM

I don't worry about the fabric, either. But please note that the oils can coat the lung cells. Over time, the oil coating makes it difficult to breathe. It happened to my sister in law, only she just coated the outside of her nostrils (dry skin) once a day, with mineral oil. Cumulative affect of doing that (and unknowingly breathing in oil molecules) for years resulted in difficulty breathing. After all kinds of medical tests with negative results, a dr finally ordered a lung biopsy. The air sacs in the lungs were coated with oil. They could not take in oxygen or took in reduced amounts. She is in her 60's and tethered to an oxygen machine.

Irishrose2 03-31-2018 02:47 PM

Just a note; essential oils are really oils, but the essence of the plant - kind of like our blood, and therefore are not oily.

madamekelly 04-01-2018 11:37 AM

We have used fabreeze in our bathrooms, and mine has a quilted curtain and a “panel” shower curtain and I have not noticed any issues and they do get washed at least twice a year.

Rose_P 04-01-2018 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 8031698)
I consider air fresheners, air pollution since I have allergies.

I agree! DH and I both have problems with things like this and scented candles and fabric softener. If we walk into a shop that has a heavy scent we have to leave or we'll both have sinus headaches. My nose starts to itch immediately, which is annoying enough. I don't know if they do anything to quilts, but it stands to reason that long exposure is probably not good. When you smell anything it is because your nose is picking up actual atoms of whatever it is.

carolynjo 04-01-2018 02:36 PM

Thanks for the hint about using cloves to neutralize odors.

Peckish 04-01-2018 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Rose_P (Post 8032604)
When you smell anything it is because your nose is picking up actual atoms of whatever it is.

And my mind circles back around to the obnoxious poots from the beloved hubby. :shock: Good thing he makes me laugh a lot!

I like the so-called copycat Williams Sonoma air freshener. You put water, a couple sprigs of rosemary, couple slices of lemon, and some good quality vanilla extract in a pot, simmer low on the stove (or put it in a small crock pot). Smells sooooo good!

But by far my favorite air freshener is to open the windows and doors and let the fresh air in.

kat13 04-01-2018 06:40 PM

Thanks Barb! I’ve never heard of that, can’t wait to try it!!

Jeanette Frantz 04-01-2018 08:24 PM

Back, a number of years before I was diagnosed with asthma, I had a violent respiratory problem caused by a room freshner spray. This particular product contained formaldehyde, and I suspect that a majority of them also contain formaldehyde -- I ended up in the ER on oxygen and injected medication. I also had another instance of exposure to room freshner sprays which ended with the paramedics being called. There have been other incidents with room freshener sprays -- for 30+ years, my employer would not allow them in the office where I worked, or in an adjacent condominium office unit which he owned. Anything airborne that contains formaldehyde can be very dangerous for anyone -- but in the early 1991 I was diagnosed with adult onset asthma. Suffice it to say, we don't allow them in our house, nor do I allow smoking in my house. There is nothing more frightening than being unable to breathe, I've been there done that!