Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilts talk (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilts-talk-t211441.html)

Jan in VA 01-20-2013 03:47 PM

Yep, the fabric is the lord of the studio in my house; it is always telling me what it wants to do, to have near it, needs as a complement, etc. I've long since learned to just listen and obey, LOL! :)

Jan in VA

Sierra 01-20-2013 04:12 PM

I understand what you are saying. I can't start a quilt unless something happens that lets me know what the quilt should look like. Sometimes just thinking of the person is enough and I know right away what to do. Other times I have to really work at it... right now I have a new DIL who is moving away from the coast to where our son lives and already she is missing the ocean. She very boldly told me now that she is family she gets a quilt! (Had to laugh because I was already on it). Later she appologized for her comment, but the damage was done.... I knew she wanted a quilt! I have told her to send me lots of photos of the scenes she loves, down to the details of the kind of trees that grow there. I have a list of "favorite" colors (and a couple she does NOT like) and things are coming together in my head. It will be some time before it is done (not all the data is in:)) but I really look forward to making this quilt when the details gel. I've already begun sketching. Without personal knowledge of a person it is very hard for me to make a quilt. It is like an assignment; work; a duty.

JanTx 01-20-2013 04:35 PM

I make quilts for each high school graduate from our small church. This year that's 3. The boy I know - know his family, known him forever - has a finished top and I'm waiting to find the backing to finish. The other two - I don't know. My "kids" are in their 30's so I'm not with the teens anymore and these 2 have not been with us long enough to have been in my 4th and 5th grade Bible class. So ... hard. But again - the finished quilt that would NOT go to the bride (original post) also will not go to this girl. It's going to a girl who will graduate next year - it has told me so. The other grad is a boy and I stand looking at my stash trying to figure out what fabric he belongs too and ... not happening yet. Sigh. I had a daughter who was on the mouthy side and now these quilts!

nativetexan 01-20-2013 05:19 PM

yep, sometimes things do talk to us. we just have to listen. keep going!!

c joyce 01-20-2013 05:44 PM

At least you can start and let it speak to you about a recipient. I can't even start one unless I can picture the end result and have a home for it...even if it's one for me to keep.

ellenmg 01-21-2013 04:25 AM

Totally agree with you! I find that houses and books do the same thing...And manage to find their way to the person who needs them the most..

tymia 01-21-2013 05:33 AM

I don't think it is the quilts talking, I think it is the Holy Spirit guiding you. Give credit where credit is due.

Steady Stiching 01-21-2013 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5798344)
I swear I've had some quilts mock me, does that count?:D

Ya mean I'm not the only one LOL

Contrary Wife 01-21-2013 06:57 AM

Same here. I have a D9 patch, mostly pink "I wanted" 2 pink borders on, quilt has other wishes, I just don't know what yet.

AZ Jane 01-21-2013 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Marycumi (Post 5798375)
Yes, quilts do talk. I have had tell me that "No, that border does not work!"

I never pick borders or binding until the rest is finished. I have found I just cannot plan ahead. The quilts do have a mind of their own!! (I can't follow a pattern either!)