Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilts you like from magazines? Organize? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilts-you-like-magazines-organize-t220717.html)

Julie in NM 05-07-2013 12:34 PM

For awhile was keeping mags but realized some are repetitious. So now have 3 binders, or is it 4...hmmm...patterns and PICS only of quilts I may create at some time. Decided I would rather collect fab insead of mags. Rarely buy a mag unless there are atleast 3 projects that should be added to my to do list. I"ve noticed that many patters are the Oldie but Goodie patterns just diff color scheme.

sewmary 05-07-2013 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by katkat1946 (Post 6048226)
OH MY GOODNESS, BNeighbor! What a great idea this is!!! I just need to clarify - by SIM card, is that like the little memory cards in a camera? Would you be able to transfer from this little card to a thumb drive? THanks.

Most newer computers have a slot to put in the SIM card. You then download the files to your computer or to a flash drive.

If you do not have a slot for the SIM card, you can connect the camera to the computer Should have come with the cable or go to Best Buy or some such place and get one. Save the files to a flash drive or to your computer.

hperttula123 05-07-2013 06:48 PM

I tear out the ones that I like and the patterns and put them in a binder with clear pages so I can find everything easily. Now, saying that....I think I have only done one out of the 3" binder full of patterns...hahaha. I use it for inspiration mostly.

danece 05-07-2013 10:43 PM

My kids are teaching me to scan anything I want to keep into my laptop, then put it on a DVD, and then I can store my magazines in a storage tub in the shed, I label the tub with type of name of the magazines, year and any info that I think will help me find the right article if needed

Andrea 05-08-2013 03:19 AM

If I had kept all the magazines I've received since I started quilting 15 years ago, I'd have to add a room to my house! There were certain patterns I liked but knew I'd never find them again if I had to go through a huge pile of magazines. So I spent time going through all magazines, and tore out the pages needed to make quilts I liked, stapled the pages together and put them in a plastic storage box. Tried putting them in binders, but I had too many quilt instructions to do that. Also found binders too time consuming. Patterns are now in the box and I just go through the box when I'm looking for a quilt idea.

pokeyscorner 05-08-2013 11:54 AM

I save for a yr, then go thru them all & tear out the patterns I want to keep. I have 2 -2 drawer wooden file cabinets under a large door/table top & have hanging files in them for patterns.

petthefabric 05-08-2013 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnMyra (Post 6044538)
Hello Mimmy, I love my magazines and mostly keep them. But I also photocopy anything that catches my eye, mark where it came from for easy reference later and file the copies in a manilla folder. Works for me.

In theory, this is what I'd do too. But I don't seem to get to the organizing part.

And I've begun to think about the space clutter in the house. As I get older, I don't need clutter confussing my brain. I do think organizing will go up a notch on my priority list. Besides, other people can enjoy the back issues. "Quilting Arts", now that's a different story, keep them all.