Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quirkygranolagirl death star qpplique (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quirkygranolagirl-death-star-qpplique-t302048.html)

Nanscan 01-06-2019 03:48 AM

Quirkygranolagirl death star qpplique

Good morning! Has anyone made the death star epp appliques from quirkygranolagirl's instructions?
I have made several halves but cannot understand her directions #6 and #7 below on how to attach them to my 12" square. I must be a blockhead! Can anyone help? I just do not understand if the perimeter fabric is the same as the 12" block and if so, what does "leave a 1/2" seam allowance mean? Could this mean there is a backing piece that goes onto each half before stitching to the block?
Many thanks!

Melinda at quirkygranolagirl.blogspot.com:

http://quirkygranolagirl.blogspot.co...r-pattern.html

zennia 01-06-2019 04:20 AM

I don't know the answer to your question but I do like her tutorials. Thank You.

JustAbitCrazy 01-06-2019 04:34 AM

I have never made a pattern of hers, and I don't understand the directions in number 6, but I think I do understand the directions in number 7. It is telling you to sew the perimeter fabric to the Death Star in two sections, separately: the top half and the bottom half. Then you stitch the two halves of perimeter fabric together, followed by stitching the two halves of the Death Star together.
I'm unsure, but it sounds to me, in the number 6 directions, that you are sewing together a circular piece and a concave framing piece, the way you inset a circle. And it seems to me that you are doing it with either a half inch seam allowance on both pieces, or a half inch seam allowance on only the concave framing piece, while using a quarter inch seam allowance on the circular piece (which seems like it would be hard to do imho).

Nanscan 01-07-2019 03:43 AM

Thank you for your help! I appreciate your taking your time to check this out for me!

WMUTeach 01-08-2019 03:50 AM

I have three grandchildren, no four grandchildren that would love this. The question is now.... do I love them enough to make that patchwork Deathstar? :shock: :D I hear Yoda... "Do or do not. There is no Try."
[h=2][/h]

Feathers-N-Fur 01-08-2019 11:46 AM

As I understand it, she is EPP the background to the death star. However, I don’t see why you couldn’t simply make the whole ship then appliqué it to your background if that is what you are more comfortable doing. If you do EPP the whole thing, remember that the 1/2” seam allowance will be glue basted to the card stock, so it won’t matter what size seam allowance is on the opposing seam. Good luck and please post pics when you are done. This has been on my bucket list for my niece for a while now.

Friday1961 01-08-2019 04:40 PM

What she's calling perimeter fabric, and what I'd call "background" fabric, is two pieces, a top and a bottom. She sews the top half of the sewn together death star to the top perimeter or background piece, and then sews the sewn together bottom half of the death star to the bottom perimeter fabric. If you zoom in on the photo you can see the seam (it curves) of the top and bottom perimeter fabric where it's joined. That's why she leaves the bottom portion of the top half and the top portion of the bottom half of the pieced death star unsewn and clips the curves, so that she can then sew the whole thing together.

At least this is what I think she means. Clear as mud?

What I wonder if why she didn't sew the top half of the death star to the bottom half and then applique the whole thing to the perimeter or background fabric. Wouldn't it have been easier? Or maybe I don't "get" it, after all.

I'll look now to see how others interpreted this.....and may then delete my own post, if I have it wrong!

Friday1961 01-08-2019 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Feathers-N-Fur (Post 8189082)
As I understand it, she is EPP the background to the death star. However, I don’t see why you couldn’t simply make the whole ship then appliqué it to your background if that is what you are more comfortable doing. If you do EPP the whole thing, remember that the 1/2” seam allowance will be glue basted to the card stock, so it won’t matter what size seam allowance is on the opposing seam. Good luck and please post pics when you are done. This has been on my bucket list for my niece for a while now.

This was my question, too. Why not just applique the whole thing? It seems easier to me....however, I don't regularly do applique, so maybe not!!

What is EPP? Paper piecing?

JustAbitCrazy 01-09-2019 04:37 AM

EPP is English Paper Piecing.

Friday1961 01-09-2019 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy (Post 8189342)
EPP is English Paper Piecing.

Thanks! I've done one paper piecing quilt -- a Union Jack -- but don't know what English Paper Piecing is; I'll look it up!