Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quiting gloves (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quiting-gloves-t71269.html)

melslove 10-20-2010 10:10 AM

So i never seen a need for gloves until my recent mishap using a rotary cutter and slicing off part of my finger, now i am thinking that gloves would be a really good idea!

So i have been looking and only see one make by fons and porter and its only cut resistant not cut proof, and i thinking while cutter with a razor sharp rotary cutter one would need something "cut proof".

Anybody have or seen anything like this? I don't know if i will ever have the guts to pick the cutter up again without something, i guess that is a fear i am going to have to work though.

Thanks for your input!

NancyL746 10-20-2010 10:13 AM

Google wood carving catalogs. Yhey have metel mesh gloves.

amma 10-20-2010 10:29 AM

The metal mesh gloves are much more bulky, making holding the rotary cutter more difficult. They are also very expensive.

Have you looked into the rulers that have a built in raised safety edge to protect hands/fingers?

There is also another one that is new, that the ruler has a sharpener on it, and the rotary cutter has a ridge that it rides on.

Just some ideas :D:D:D

bakermom 10-20-2010 10:31 AM

you can get cut proof gloves in kitchen supplies. Some restaurants require employees to wear them

Qbee 10-20-2010 12:18 PM

Oh gosh....bless your heart. Unfortunately gloves might make it more difficult and therefore more dangerous. It is understandable that you are fearful now....you have been through a trauma. I would expect that you will automatically be much more careful because of the trauma. You will have to make yourself start doing it again....like someone who has a car accident and then doesn't want to drive. I am SO sorry you are going through this.

Sandra-P 10-20-2010 01:01 PM

I have the Fons and Porter one and have it on my left hand, rotary in my right. It has gripper dots on it so I am able to hold the ruler without it slipping. I have never had to put it to the "cut" test but hope it will work if I do.

EmsMom 10-20-2010 01:04 PM

ouch! That does not sound good. Makes me want to run out and buy gloves now (or at the very least - add it to my Christmas wish list). Hope you didn't cut it too bad.

np3 10-22-2010 08:50 PM

Instead of the gloves for cutting, you need the ruler with the guard on it to protect your fingers. And always close the rotary cutter when you put it down!

karenm36 10-22-2010 09:40 PM

Don't know if this idea would help or not...but I recently saw at a LQS a suction type handle that attaches to the clear ruler to help a person stabilize the ruler with one hand while cutting with another. The idea in your case would be that your holding hand wouldn't be down on the ruler...it would be up on this large oversized type handle...so it would be out of the way. Also I use a rotary cutter that the blade is only exposed when I grip the handle...as soon as I let go it retracts back safely...another safety mechanism.

Iluv2quilt 10-22-2010 10:04 PM

I did the same thing, cut the side tip of my finger right off! Had to go to the emergency room and everything. I bought the cut resistant glove and have worn it a lot. I hope you finger heals very soon!