Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quitting Smoking, need fabric, couple questions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quitting-smoking-need-fabric-couple-questions-t173507.html)

wildyard 12-30-2011 08:21 AM

If you are doing applique and need some smaller scraps and/or felt, I would be happy to send you a PIF envelope full. All I need you to do is let me know what colors you would like and PM me your address. I think quilting is an awesome way to quit smoking and you are doing a wonderful thing to help take the concern from your children and grandchildren.
And as DebraK said, with the price of cigarettes these days, the money will become available when you quit buying them.
My DD and DSIL quit together and have tracked online how much money they saved and so far it's over $6000. I think it's an app on her computer, lol.
Best of luck hugggggs and smiles to you.

milikaa1 12-30-2011 08:39 AM

You can do it! That is one of the best decisions you can make in your life to quit! I quit 6 years ago and dont miss it at all!

For fabrics, I get some of mine at Joann mark downs, I get from thrift stores too, people post about online sites here that they like too.

Dakota Girl 12-30-2011 09:30 AM

Good luck in your quest to stop smoking. Not long ago, I walked into a small quilting shop and turned around and walked out again. The reason.........everything reeked of cigarette smoke. You don't notice it when you are a smoker, but your quilts and other fabrics in your absorb this smell and it is impossible to remove. Sweeter smelling quilts for your grandbabies will be a plus. Also the money saved.

heberstitcher 12-30-2011 09:43 AM

Congratulations on your decision!! Best of luck to you. There are alot of online places having big sales now.

nhweaver 12-30-2011 09:43 AM

Does anyone know how to locate a Good Will by the pound? Would love to add this to my must visit.

Originally Posted by wuv2quilt (Post 4819019)
Do you have a Good Will by the pound store in your area? I bought 15 yards....YES, 15 yards of 3 different colors of Batik's, 5 yards of a cute print, and 4-5 yards of a coordinating plaid, ALL.......ALL for $13 and change. Good luck to you on quitting :thumbup:

judord 12-30-2011 10:24 AM

I quit on Jan. 13, 1995 after smoking for 41 years. Should have done it long before that. When I found out I had lost 30% of my lung power, that gave me the incentive. That tells me how addictive it is. Good luck to you. I tried many times over the years, but just had to get to that certain point, and the patch really helped me; along with every aide ever imagined; like tapes, cards, poems, etc. Use whatever you can. It all helps. I am sure I wouldn't be alive now if I hadn't quit. Stay STRONG, GIRL!
Judy

ctack2 12-30-2011 12:21 PM

I want to thank each and every one of you for your offers and support. It gives me such a warm cozy feeling to know that there are so many out there that are 'on my side'.
I work at a Veteran's hospital on a long term psych ward and have already told my co-workers that for a while I will not want to be involved in taking the guys outside for their smoke break. So far everyone has said that they understand and are supportive about it. We'll see when it actually happens. I do work with a great bunch of people though, so I'm optimistic about the support at work.
Thanks to you all!
Carol B

pollyjvan9 12-30-2011 12:28 PM

Wow, will be thinking of you and your desire to get off the cigs. I quit (again) 6 years ago and think I have finally got it beat, however, I quit for 13 years one time and then went back when my husband had a stroke. This time I have been through the loss of a beautiful 6 yr old grandson and my mother and I have resisted the smokes. Pulling with you all the way, it can be done, but as you know you can never let your guard down.

By the way, when I first started quilting, I bought 100% cotton garments at the thrift stores and also used denim from jeans I bought for $.50 at garage sales. The first quilts don't have to be made from LQS quality fabrics. Just have fun, relax and enjoy the process.

Nell Dwyer 12-30-2011 12:44 PM

I quit-only because I wanted to-you got to want to quit for real, or it don't work-JoAnn's is always a possibility, or Hancock Fabric's is another-I live in Murfreesboro, and we have both-Good luck-and Grandchildren are always the best reason to quit-just stay firm.

BellaBoo 12-30-2011 01:16 PM

I know you can quit! Don't give up. Most medical insurance companies charges much more for premiums for someone that is a smoker so money is saved there too. Also some car and house insurance rates go down for non smokers. More money saved!