Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rag Quilt cutter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rag-quilt-cutter-t214105.html)

quiltin-nannie 02-18-2013 05:03 PM

I bought the Accuquilt Go several years ago and have used it twice. I have a bunch of dies to go with it that I just"had" to have. Could kick myself for spending all that money. When I first bought it, between that and extra dies it was over $800. With the dies I bought afterwards, I probably have well over $1200 invested, and it just sits there and collects dust. Live and learn.

liblady 02-18-2013 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by suern3 (Post 5871117)
Sorry, I'm confused. Does this cut the "fringe" part of a rag quilt? I sure hurt my hand while fringing the only rag quilt I've done. That was about 3 months ago and my hand is just starting to feel better, so probably won't do another one.

Yes, it cuts the fringe. It's the only way I'll do a rag quilt. There is also a 5 inch square, which is the one I have used.

Ann63 02-18-2013 05:45 PM

I have the 8.5 inch die, love it. My guild had some cut a couple years ago we made quilts for veterans. My son loved it so I bought the rag die when I got my Accuquilt last year. Worked on it this past weekend while on Quilting Retreat, could have finished it but I do more talking in groups than sewing. I have 5 rows sewn 2 more to go. I cut a total of 126 rag sqaures with fringe in a fews hours. I used the 6.5 inch square die to cut the batting.

bigdogmom 02-18-2013 06:05 PM

I just got mine a few weeks ago when Joann's had for $199. Had a couple gift cards and also got strip dies (2.5 " and 1.5") while 25% off. I really like mine.

Mitch's mom 02-18-2013 06:49 PM

Suern3 I don't have the rag die or I would offer to cut squares for you. I won't be without a die cutter ever again. I'm with BellaBoo - I'll sew by hand before I cut by hand. I do still cut some strips by hand but as I get strip dies I expect that to end.

GrannieAnnie 02-18-2013 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by suern3 (Post 5871117)
Sorry, I'm confused. Does this cut the "fringe" part of a rag quilt? I sure hurt my hand while fringing the only rag quilt I've done. That was about 3 months ago and my hand is just starting to feel better, so probably won't do another one.

Sure does. I'm getting the 8.5" one. I just finished up my 4th tonight. My hands hurt----------and I broke a Fiskars scissors handle while cutting tonight.

GrannieAnnie 02-18-2013 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by owlvamp (Post 5871126)
I love making rag quilts but can't invest in the die cut or GO for a very long time. I could buy a lottery ticket and win and then I could get it. LOL

Do you live any where close to SW Indiana??????????? I could be talked into helping you!

sewaholic 02-19-2013 01:36 AM

I love the 2 and a half inch strip die, no more crooked binding strips.

GrannieAnnie 02-19-2013 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by sewaholic (Post 5871773)
I love the 2 and a half inch strip die, no more crooked binding strips.

Depending on the fabric, I tear a lot of strips, like binding. Some fabrics don't tear well, but I generally don't have a problem with crooked binding.

suern3 02-25-2013 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom (Post 5871453)
Suern3 I don't have the rag die or I would offer to cut squares for you. I won't be without a die cutter ever again. I'm with BellaBoo - I'll sew by hand before I cut by hand. I do still cut some strips by hand but as I get strip dies I expect that to end.

Hey, thanks for the response. I'm trying not to think about the die cutter! Sounds too good. :)