Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rag Quilt help please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rag-quilt-help-please-t2819.html)

enola05 10-20-2007 11:06 AM

Ladies, I want to have a go at a rag quilt and thought I would post here how I think it is done before I start so you lovely ladies can point out where I'm going wrong before I get there :D

Top - Denim, Back - Patterned Fleece, Filling - Plain Fleece

Cut fabric into 7" strips
Layer strips - top (face down), filling, back (face up), back (face down), filling and top (face up) and sew (with 1/2" seam)
Cut into 7" squares (resulting in 2 x 7" squares sewn together)
Not sure about pressing here ??
Arrange squares and sew together to get desired quilt width
Repeat until desired number of rows sewn
Sew rows together
Snip seams
Wash

My main concern is whether sewing machine will be able to cope at the corners where 4 seams meet, that's 4 layers of denim and 8 layers of flannel!!

Also, do I need to sew x's in the squares or is that just for rag quilts that use traditional wadding?

Many thanks in advance for your help ladies

enola05 10-20-2007 11:11 AM

I meant flannell for filling and backing, not fleece :-o

Celeste 10-20-2007 11:12 AM

I'm keeping an eye on this one!

amma 10-20-2007 02:12 PM

I wonder if the quilt would be too warm with 1 layer of denim and 2 layers of flannel?
Maybe you could make a small sample of a few blocks and see how your machine does on that many layers, if you use a long basting stitch it would come out easy if you don't like how it is sewing.
I can't wait to see the quilt when it is done! :D

bj 10-20-2007 02:25 PM

When I made rag quilts, I cut the top and backing fabrics the same size squares. I did 7" squares for lap quilts and 4" for baby quilts. Then I cut the batting into squares that were 1" smaller, allowing for the 1/2" seam line all around. I sandwiched the layers, quilted inside (I sewed a star) and then sewed around the outside edge just inside the 1/2" seam line. Then I started sewing squares together into rows, then joined the rows. When I had all the squares joined, I sewed all the way around the outside edge, just inside the 1/2" line, and clipped until my hands nearly fell off. Had to wash them a couple of times to get the fray puffy. I never used denim, but seems pretty heavy for 3 layers. Good luck. They really do turn out pretty when they're finished. Someone on this board had bought scissors that are for clipping rag quilts. I think they are spring action. If I ever make another one, I'm getting some :)

SaraSewing 10-20-2007 02:51 PM

1. I made a rag quilt for my son using denim /denim on one square, and 3 layers of flannel on the next square. It's not too warm. He loves it.

2. I didn't make the X sewing in the middle.

3. I hate to cut the snips.

4. I didn't use batting in the middle. Only fabric.

5. I just made one out of fleece. Single layer. It's for a baby and is adorable and much easier.

6. It's your quilt. Try it. Only YOU are the boss of you.

Sara

dcurvey 10-20-2007 06:22 PM

I would highly recommend the rag quilt scissors. The snipping of the seams really gets your hands.

If you do as someone suggests and make the batting 1 inch smaller it will give the warmth without the extra layer in the seam. That helps quite a bit.

The quilting of the square will depend upon the batting you use. I used "warm & Natural" and did 7 different designs, one for each colour of flannel I used. Came out great!

When you dry the quilt for the first time, clean out the lint trap about every 5 minutes. It collects quickly

enola05 10-21-2007 01:58 AM

Thank you for all of your helpful suggestions ladies:D

Originally Posted by dcurvey
I would highly recommend the rag quilt scissors. The snipping of the seams really gets your hands.

If you do as someone suggests and make the batting 1 inch smaller it will give the warmth without the extra layer in the seam. That helps quite a bit.

If I do this then I need to do the X (or something) in the middle of the squares to hold the middle layer in place? Do you usually do this bit first then sew the squares together?

Catherine 10-21-2007 03:07 AM

If all your pieces are the same size you do not need to sew an x in the middle the stitching catches this...I made one with cotton fabric back and front with flannel in the middle and thought it was heavy....denium will certainly be heavier! make a sample first. good luck

enola05 10-21-2007 07:51 AM

Thanks again ladies.

I'm thinking of getting rid of the middle layer of flannel, I don't need it to be a heavyweight quilt (and it will make it cheaper)