Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rag quilt prewash or not (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rag-quilt-prewash-not-t47686.html)

lynn7448 05-30-2010 03:23 PM

Hi!
I am new to the board and also to quilting. I am going to make a rag quilt for my grandaughter, as my first project.
The front will be cotton, Warm and Natural batting and flannel back. Since I have a whole different combination of fabrics, should I prewash or not? The flannel is a deep purple.
Thanks for you help!
Lynn

isnthatodd 05-30-2010 03:39 PM

I would at least wash the flannel, more to avoid shrinkage problems than anything else.

oatw13 05-30-2010 03:52 PM

I would pre-wash the fabrics, especially the flannel. I would probably wash and dry the flannel at least twice. Flannel tends to shrink a lot more than cotton.

Be sure to post a picture when you are done! :)

LeslieSkelly 05-30-2010 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by lynn7448
Hi!
I am new to the board and also to quilting. I am going to make a rag quilt for my grandaughter, as my first project.
The front will be cotton, Warm and Natural batting and flannel back. Since I have a whole different combination of fabrics, should I prewash or not? The flannel is a deep purple.
Thanks for you help!
Lynn

First of all welcome to the board from Pipe Creek Texas!!!

I have made many, many rag quilts over the years. I have never prewashed any fabric. I wash the quilt after it is complete so that it frays better. I guess it is a matter of personal preference....good luck with your decision.

Kathy N 05-30-2010 04:25 PM

I've made many flannel rag quilts and I never prewashed either. You always wash it afterwards to get the fraying to start. I've never had an extreme shrinkage problem either.

SherriB 05-30-2010 04:45 PM

I have made several rag quilts with cotton top and backing and flannel between. I have never pre-washed my fabrics and haven't had any problems with shrinkage.

clem55 05-30-2010 04:57 PM

I would definitly wash the purple flannel!! Purple always bleeds, a lot!

sandyl 05-30-2010 04:59 PM

I continue to hear from folks on here to pre-wash flannel, but what about the flannel charms? I used them and didnt pre-wash but I haven't quilted it yet either so I dont know if it will shrink. Sure hope not.

ragqueen03 05-30-2010 05:27 PM

i have made a couple of rag quilts (lap size) and never prewashed. going to try to do a quilt for hubby with a mixture of cotton and flannel (his old concert t-shirts) so curious how this will work out. i use flannel as the middle fabric - not quite as bulky but a very warm quilt. mother in law is going to get a rag quilt for christmas with cotton on top flannel in the middle and probably cotton on the back. let us know how yours turns out!

sewgull 05-30-2010 06:04 PM

Made several rag quilts using flannel on both sides 'No' batting used. Did not pre-wash. Warm & Natural will be bulky. For a warmer quilt you may want to use flannel as batting. Will be much softer for little hands to hold.
She will love the quilt.