Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   rag quilt question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rag-quilt-question-t85971.html)

bj 12-29-2010 11:30 AM

I've also heard of using 3 layers of flannel with no batting, but I always use a low-loft batting in mine. Instead of an X thru the block, I do a free-hand star, like you make when you doodle. I like them because they look a little funky. I do this no matter the size of the block.

Midwestmary 12-29-2010 11:30 AM

I, too, do an x on each square - sometimes with a decorative stitch. I've made them with and without batting - but prefer batting as it gets cold up here in Iowa!

snow 12-29-2010 11:40 AM

I also do not use batting, I have made 3 rag quilts and 3 shawls with two layers of flannel I also make an x in the block. I also used JA fabric and they wash very well and held up. They are so warm.

kso 12-29-2010 12:10 PM

I don't use batting.

I sew my cotton prints onto a denim foundation square for my rag quilts.

Snorky Lvs2Quilt 12-29-2010 12:21 PM

I made a rag quilt for my DGD and cut 5" squares. I did sew the X on each square. To me it keeps your fabric from slipping and also it keeps its shape after washing and drying. I am cutting another for my DGS but making 8" squares and I am still sewing the X. I did not put any batting in either and it is just fine. If you want the quilt a little "warmer" use batting. Good luck.

oldmountaincrafts 12-29-2010 12:28 PM

Sometimes I sew the "X", sometimes I don't, it does help to stabilize the fabric if you do though. I do normally use a contrasting flannel for the batting and cut it the same size of my other 2 squares and when it's washed, all the colors will fringe and look great!

Another tip that I've used for years and it works great and washes out when you launder it, after I cut all my squares, and I'm ready to put all my squares together, I get one of those glue sticks like you used to use in school and just put a dab in the middle of my bottom square and put my batting/flannel in the middle, another dab of the glue stick and put my top square on. This helps to just keep everything in place when you start sewing!

Good luck and have fun! I get on a rag purse kick and will knock out 4 - 5 a day!! They are so much fun!

sewwhat85 12-29-2010 03:20 PM

i do the x have done batting and no batting and also used extra layer of cheap flannel in middle

Fancy Nancy 12-29-2010 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by davidwent
My flannels just came in from Hancock, so I am ready to do my rag quilt. My questions...I watched 2 tutes about rag quilt, one from missouri star who first stitched an "X" across the blocks, the other did not due this, which is best? 2nd.. Neither person used batting, is this the norm?
Thank you!
David

also wondered size of seam. i did 1 in seam and the quilt does not seem to raggedy. should you make bigger seams?

oatw13 12-29-2010 03:47 PM

I cut 6 1/2" blocks and use three layers of flannel. I don't use batting or sew an X and mine have held up fine to many washings.

jeanneb52 12-30-2010 03:12 AM

no batting, another flannel in place of batting. yes on the X