Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   rag quilt question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rag-quilt-question-t85971.html)

newbiequilter 12-30-2010 12:40 PM

I have made two Brickyard rag flannel quilts. The bricks are 6" x 9" and I sew straight lines about 2.5" in from each long edge (it could be an "x" if you wish)and chain the bricks in the row together. I use flannel as the batting and the quilts are heavy and warm. To make them a bit lighter, eliminate the middle layer of flannel. Yes the three layers, along with clipping every 1/4", makes the seams fluffy.

Nancylou 12-30-2010 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by amma
The X helps to stabilize the block, keeps the flannel from stretching (it is stretchier than quilting cotton)
You can do other designs in the middle too... circles, large stippling, etc.. :D:D:D

I've done a zig zag stitch X on mine and I have used flannel for the batting if you don't it to thick or use batting and cut it about a 1/2" smaller than the square. That way your seems aren't to thick.

tryitall 12-30-2010 03:51 PM

Same here!

ckcowl 12-30-2010 04:03 PM

i always use batting, i love how fluffy and soft they get, the x stitched across is just to keep things (secure) the quilting of the sandwich. my favorite is about 9" squares, flannel on both sides, warm & natural in the middle :thumbup:
the x does not have to be an x it can be any quilting you want....x's are just easy and quick.
i have made raggy quilts with other block arrangements and even strips they are fun but clipping can be a challenge. after 6+ years of making them i finally figured out it was easier to clip as i go...as in, when joining rows i will clip the joined blocks as i go so by the time the whole quilt is together i only have to stitch around the outside and clip that and i am done...if you sew it all together and then sit down to clip it all...recruit help! and take breaks to stretch you hands, arms and shoulders. :thumbup:

newbiequilter 12-30-2010 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i always use batting, i love how fluffy and soft they get, the x stitched across is just to keep things (secure) the quilting of the sandwich. my favorite is about 9" squares, flannel on both sides, warm & natural in the middle :thumbup:
the x does not have to be an x it can be any quilting you want....x's are just easy and quick.
i have made raggy quilts with other block arrangements and even strips they are fun but clipping can be a challenge. after 6+ years of making them i finally figured out it was easier to clip as i go...as in, when joining rows i will clip the joined blocks as i go so by the time the whole quilt is together i only have to stitch around the outside and clip that and i am done...if you sew it all together and then sit down to clip it all...recruit help! and take breaks to stretch you hands, arms and shoulders. :thumbup:

You are SO right about clipping in small stages. And stretching!

TexasSunshine 12-30-2010 04:20 PM

I just made a denim and red plaid flannel one for my son for Christmas. I used old jeans, cut 9 inch squares, sewed an X, no battings because of weight of denim and sewed 1/2 inch seams. On the outside I sewed twice around the border, washed and dried it. Really liked the way it turned out. If I was not doing denim, just flannel, I think I would do 3 layers of flannel.

Traveler from MA 12-30-2010 04:22 PM

I have made many rag quilts for children and babies. I have used Jo-ann's fabric (better quality ones) and warn and natural batting. I X them all for stability. I use a 9" sq for the flannel and 7" sq. for the batting. Rag quilts are the best baby gifts. HAve fun with them

newbiequilter 12-30-2010 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by TexasSunshine
I just made a denim and red plaid flannel one for my son for Christmas. I used old jeans, cut 9 inch squares, sewed an X, no battings because of weight of denim and sewed 1/2 inch seams. On the outside I sewed twice around the border, washed and dried it. Really liked the way it turned out. If I was not doing denim, just flannel, I think I would do 3 layers of flannel.

Ohhhh, I like the sounds of your quilt. Is the front and back the same - denim backed with denim, flannel w/flannel?

newbiequilter 12-30-2010 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Traveler from MA
I have made many rag quilts for children and babies. I have used Jo-ann's fabric (better quality ones) and warn and natural batting. I X them all for stability. I use a 9" sq for the flannel and 7" sq. for the batting. Rag quilts are the best baby gifts. HAve fun with them

I have heard many comments on this board that rag quilts produce too much lint for babies....I don't know, just asking.

Quilter2B 12-30-2010 04:48 PM

My squares were 6" and I did the "x"; didn't use any batting because the two layers of flannel I thought would be warm enough. :P