Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rag Quilt Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rag-quilt-question-t9968.html)

rkcrafter 08-07-2008 03:15 PM

I'm going to make a rag quilt (to use while watching tv, lap size ) and we live in So. Calif.... I'm also making one out of flannel that I am not putting any batting inside, but I'm wondering if I should for one made out of just 100% cotton fabric.

For some reason, with our mild winters (can you even call it winter in So. Calif).... I think the flannel will be warm enough without batting, but not sure about one made from cotton fabric.

Any one have any thoughts or experience? Thanks

Marcia 08-07-2008 04:16 PM

I would put a thin lightweight batting in the cotton quilt.

ButtercreamCakeArtist 08-07-2008 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by rkcrafter
I'm going to make a rag quilt (to use while watching tv, lap size ) and we live in So. Calif.... I'm also making one out of flannel that I am not putting any batting inside, but I'm wondering if I should for one made out of just 100% cotton fabric.

For some reason, with our mild winters (can you even call it winter in So. Calif).... I think the flannel will be warm enough without batting, but not sure about one made from cotton fabric.

Any one have any thoughts or experience? Thanks

I guess it depends on where you live and personal preference, but I would put a layer of flannel in between or thin batting. The one in progress that I'm working on has thin batting, but we do get cold winters here in WV.

justme 08-07-2008 05:54 PM

I made a rag quilt with just flannel... no batting, no backing. Very comfortable for those cooler evenings. I live in MI and it does the job! Good luck with your project and don't forget to post pictures when your done.

pocoellie 08-07-2008 06:02 PM

If you're by the ocean, you might put a light batting, otherwise, I would just do the 2 pieces of flannel. If you decide cotton, I would definitely put batting. That's my 2 cents worth. Show us pictures, please.

bj 08-07-2008 06:18 PM

I would probably put a lightweight batting in the cotton. I made one for my son out of homespuns and just put a thin cotton batting in it. They live in the Austin area, and it's just right. He tends to be pretty hot natured, too.

ccbear66 08-07-2008 06:18 PM

I have made several rag quilts and I use cotton for front and back and flannel for the center. One hint that will save your hands is buy a pair of spring loaded snips. I won't make another one with these they are a real time and hand saver when you get to the part of snipping the seams.

ddrobins1956 08-08-2008 06:05 AM

I have made lots of rag quilts. I've made some with all flannel and some all cotton. I use inexpensive unbleached muslin in the center of the cotton squares. Works great for me. I have one that I take in the car with me for road trips. Just right for keeping the air conditioning off my knees/.

quikquilt 08-08-2008 06:43 AM

I made a rag quilt using old blue jeans and flannels and use plain flannels as batting. I cut 9" square of blue jean material and plaids for the back then I cut a 8" square of plain flannels for the batting. Sandwiched the 3 layers together then machine quilt them then sew all the squares together. I may not explaining this too good. Please let me know if you have any questions. It was real fun and easy to made plus I used up some old jeans and fannels. I like that idea.

~ Quik