Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   rag quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rag-quilt-t2306.html)

Gale in SF 09-14-2007 06:07 PM

I just finished a flannel rag quilt and ran it thru the washer and dryer this afternoon and liked it so much I want to do one with cotton. However, I need a bit of help. Do I use cotton fabric in place of flannel and use flannel in the middle? Can I cut them all the same size at the same time? For the flannel rag quilt, I cut the batting an inch smaller. Thanks...

ccbear66 09-14-2007 06:15 PM

I have made four rag quilts and plan to make a couple more before Christmas. I used cotton on front and back and flannel in the center. I cut all three squares the same size. I started with a 7 inch and sewed 1/2 in seams and didn't even have to sew the x in the center. I just love these quilts. If you have any more questions just ask.

Barb

Gale in SF 09-14-2007 06:29 PM

Barb, Thank you so much for the quick response. The quilt was 7x7 with finished 8" blocks so I sewed an x across. Oh, a question... did you pin the six layers or just layer and sew free? Asked from a 'can I do this quicker than I did the last one?'

Gale

ccbear66 09-14-2007 06:31 PM

I didn't pin them. I just sewed. The nice thing about a rag quilt is if it is off just a little no one will know after it is snipped.

Gale in SF 09-14-2007 06:49 PM

Hurray!! I'm off to find some fabric for a new born great niece! Thank you so much!

Gale

mimisharon 09-15-2007 06:06 AM

I have one pinned to my 'design' flannel right now for my preemie great niece......I used two layers of flannel to the back and cotton layer on top, I want to keep that baby warm and snuggled. :-)

Gale in SF 09-15-2007 01:14 PM

Because I don't have much experience with flannel, should I buy a better quality flannel for the outside and a less expensive for the inside? Does it matter?

I need to go out to JoAnne's and buy flannel and I just need a suggestion before I head out.

Gale

mimisharon 09-15-2007 01:22 PM

Hi Gale,
That's what I did, I used a lighter quality for the inside and a heavy quality for the inside. 'Course, I need to tell the truth I buy with coupons or when it's on sale anyway, so it is always on hand. You never know when they will call or email that a new family member has arrived.
:D

Sharon

Gale in SF 09-15-2007 01:40 PM

Thank you Sharon,

Always like to be in good company. I also use my coupons, if fact, I can't remember that last time I paid full retail for fabric but then again, I seem occasionally to get caught on ebay when I buy fabric, sigh...

Have a good day and and again, thanks...

Gale

Off to work on piecing the final two blocks for a quilt then sewing all the blocks together. Another one hits the 'dust!'

Lisa 09-15-2007 03:40 PM

I have only made 2 rag quilts, the first one out of my husband and daughters old blue jeans and cotton on the back, the blue jean material is so heavy I didn't use any batting. The second one was out of flannel w/same size batting in the middle.