Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rag Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rag-quilt-t29193.html)

bstanbro 11-23-2009 09:47 AM

Have you had good luck with this kind of a quilt? I'm making one from flannel. I didn't prewash the fabric because I kind of thought it didn't make sense to "pre-ravel" it. I purchased good quality fabric, but I'm worried that it will completely fall apart when I wash it. I'd hate to put in hours and hours of work for nothing. Can anyone reassure me?

nativetexan 11-23-2009 10:10 AM

it won't fall apart, but it will definitely shrink. just use all fabrics unwashed and hopefully they will all shrink the same amounts. your cut seams will "ravel" or "rag" when washed. clean the lint trap often and you should end up with a lovely quilt.

judithb 11-23-2009 10:10 AM

I nearly always use flannel on the back. Never had a problem. I do use fabric from a quilt shop. It is a tab heavier than the regular craft/sewing shops. Have made a dozen like that and all flannel as well. They are easy to make, I have a couple different patterns. I don't prewash.

Margie 11-23-2009 10:13 AM

I have made many rag quilts....never had a problem. They tell you NOT to prewash the fabric...I always do. I dont want to make something and then have the dye run all over everything. Even then, when I wash it, I still use a color catcher sheet with it. Make sure to use at least at 1/2 seam AND SHORTEN YOUR STITCH length. Good luck...I LOVE rag quilts.

Margie

bstanbro 11-23-2009 11:25 AM

Thanks. That helps. My colors are all dark browns, blues, and burgundies, so I'm not worried about the colors running. I just don't want it all to come apart! Sounds like it'll be okay. I've never heard of a "color catcher." Is that something I can find in the grocery store with the detergents?

Margie 11-23-2009 12:43 PM

Yes, Color catchers are where you find laundry products. They look like fabric softner sheets(well heavier but the same idea). They are really great. If the colors I am washing are strong(reds, blacks, purples, browns) I have even put more than one in the wash....they work great!!

Margie

Margie 11-23-2009 12:44 PM

OOPSSSSSSS they go into the WASHER not the dryer...absorb the dye from running...when I said like fabric softner sheets didnt want you to think they went into the dryer lol...they just look similar

Margie

amma 11-23-2009 12:54 PM

I have read to reinforce the seams, use a really short and narrow zig zag stitch and 1/2 inch seams on rag quilts.

judithb 11-23-2009 01:17 PM

I use regular stitches for the blocks 1/2" and make 1/4ish inch cuts for the fringe. I have used 1" seams as well. Both look good. Then I use a decorative stitch around the outside border.

jljack 11-23-2009 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Margie
I have made many rag quilts....never had a problem. They tell you NOT to prewash the fabric...I always do. I dont want to make something and then have the dye run all over everything. Even then, when I wash it, I still use a color catcher sheet with it. Make sure to use at least at 1/2 seam AND SHORTEN YOUR STITCH length. Good luck...I LOVE rag quilts.

Margie

Yes, I double double that statement - shorten your stitch, and use at least 1/2 in seams. Your "rags" come out better with a wider stitch, and the flannel won't try to slip so much.