Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rag quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rag-quilting-t297018.html)

Caroltee 05-18-2018 04:21 PM

Rag quilting

It’s probably been asked many times but I am wondering who likes to make rag quilts and what are your favorite fabrics? Do you prefer flannel or woven fabrics or just anything to give me an idea of what there is out there for me to learn from.

dunster 05-18-2018 04:34 PM

I have made several rag quilts, mostly flannel, but I like to add some corduroy for texture. I use 3 layers of flannel, no batting, so it rags nicely and I don't have to quilt an X in the blocks.

nativetexan 05-18-2018 05:01 PM

I made one with cotton squares and some corduroy squares. looked very nice.

TexasSunshine 05-18-2018 06:37 PM

Homespun fabrics are great for rag quilts. They rag well and get very soft after washing.

bj 05-18-2018 07:40 PM

I’ve made both flannel and homespun. Homespun is my raggy fabric of choice.

Tothill 05-18-2018 10:53 PM

I have used cotton, twill, denim and flannel. I use quilters flannel, not fashion flannel.

I bought someone’s rag quilt project from a thrift shop several years ago. It was with thin flannel with a bandana print and batting. Some of the squares had been sewn together, others were in pieces still. It was terrible fabric to work with. I eventually used it to make dog quilts. It has stood up so far, but has pilled terribly. The dogs do not care.

ArlaJo 05-19-2018 02:32 AM

My avatar is a rag quilt, made with cotton. The flannel one I made frayed better.

Jordan 05-19-2018 08:24 AM

I am in the process of making a rag quilt out of my Dad's jeans and some flannel so I will be watching this thread off and on to see what everyone has to say about rag quilts. I have never made a rag quilt before so I have been getting some advice from my stitch group I meet with weekly.

Snooze2978 05-19-2018 10:58 AM

I've only made 2 rag quilts, both were blue jean fabrics on front with flannel on back, both for boys. I have another one waiting to get started, all blocks have been cut using up a large quantity of my blue jean cut-offs and off sized 5" squares. Again for a boy. Since boys are rugged while growing up I felt blue jean fabrics would last longer for them. Always make it larger so they can grow into it too.

suern3 05-19-2018 02:41 PM

I have made 3. The first was for my DH using regular cotton with an old tractor design, various plaid flannel and 1 homespun fabric. Used batting and sewed an x through the blocks. I actually hurt my hand from too much cutting for the fringe part, all at once. Found out I don't like to make rag quilts from that experience. Then made two more at the request of our DDs. Used three layers for both of those, too. One I used minky for the back piece. Minky looks nicer than you might think in a rag quilt. Other fabrics were a mix of cotton and flannel. This one I learned to cut each row after I put it together rather than waiting until the end and then doing all that cutting! The third was to be used for those early and late season soccer games. Used flannel front and back and then QD polyester batting. My thought was that it would be warm and also dry easily if it got wet. This was a big one so that DD and little DGD could snuggle together. Feedback was good:). People do seem to enjoy using rag quilts. Personally, I do not enjoy making them.