Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rail Fence Block looks bad, how can I change it (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rail-fence-block-looks-bad-how-can-i-change-t25564.html)

LaurieJane 09-18-2009 11:35 AM

Ok, I got up this morning after only 5 hours sleep and cut the block into quarters. I put a diagonal scrap of yellow from the block I did before down the center. I then learned a very valuable lesson about trimming diagonal corners! So that is why there are little yellow triangles at the end (I chopped off too much) and now I am afraid the Quilting Police are going to come and take away my rotary cutters :)
This is what it looks like now, and I think I am going to put the 2009 Western Washington Shop Hop Quilt away for the rest of the weekend. I should really go out and enjoy the sunshine and get my back door painted before the rains come. Thanks again everybody!
[IMG]http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...g/100_4232.jpg[/IMG]

Dingle 09-18-2009 05:49 PM

I don't know if it would make a difference, but everytime I have made a rail fence top I have always started the first block with the strips going down, not across. To me it just looks better and does look like steps.

Kris

thimblebug6000 09-18-2009 06:03 PM

Great design change LaurieJane!

SharonC 09-18-2009 06:51 PM

LaurieJane - Great adaptation...this is how new blocks are discovered.
p.s. There are no quilt police here :) :)

sewaholic 09-18-2009 07:05 PM

Look out LaurieJane. We are coming around to confiscate your stash. That's the price you have to pay for trimming too much. :lol: :lol:
Love the new look to the block though.

kd124 09-18-2009 11:19 PM

I don't see it, but if you don't like the way it is, then by all means change it. As mentioned, you can put 4 like fabrics so they come together in the center. Either the green or the focus would work in the center.

Many people do not do the entire hop---I would guess most don't. Do you want to add more because you want it bigger than what you will get with the blocks you have? I ask because I know of people that do from lap size on up. Some only get enough for a wall hanging. I got one block!! I had forgot but went to my LQS and ended up getting a block. We thought of going up to longview or so and getting a few, but didn't. I don't have a clue what I will do with it. Probably a small wall hanging to hang by my machine. LOL.

By the way, did you have fun? My sis and I did it in 2008 and had a blast. When we started we were only going to a few--up to Tacoma. We ended up going to every shop!! Each night she called her hubby and said we're going to be another day.

Bevanger 09-19-2009 04:13 AM

i'm sorry kiddo, but i don't see it. I like how it looks and i think once you make more, it'll take on a whole different look

LaurieJane 09-20-2009 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by kd124
I don't see it, but if you don't like the way it is, then by all means change it. As mentioned, you can put 4 like fabrics so they come together in the center. Either the green or the focus would work in the center.

Many people do not do the entire hop---I would guess most don't. Do you want to add more because you want it bigger than what you will get with the blocks you have? I ask because I know of people that do from lap size on up. Some only get enough for a wall hanging. I got one block!! I had forgot but went to my LQS and ended up getting a block. We thought of going up to longview or so and getting a few, but didn't. I don't have a clue what I will do with it. Probably a small wall hanging to hang by my machine. LOL.

By the way, did you have fun? My sis and I did it in 2008 and had a blast. When we started we were only going to a few--up to Tacoma. We ended up going to every shop!! Each night she called her hubby and said we're going to be another day.

Hey KD124 - I had a blast! The first day of the hop, my kids were in school, but for the next 2 days (Thursday and Friday) I had them with me. Thank goodness for the DVD player in my truck. We went all the way up to Lynden. I couldn't hop on Saturday and Sunday becuase our family vacation was beginning. I ended up visiting 23 shops, and it was a lot of fun! The fabric is really pretty and I can't wait to see what I end up with when the quilt is all done. I got a lot of advice during the hop from other quilters and shop oweners - - since this was a shop hop quilt, I was told ". . it is special, so you don't ever want to wash it or use it on a bed - it should be a wall hanging. . .", so i don't know what it will be when I am finished!

rosequilts 09-22-2009 09:49 AM

It is not a swasticka(they overlap the bars) and when you have the blocks joined into rows it will be a rail fence. Good luck witht he pproject

ScrapQuilter 09-22-2009 07:21 PM

Looking at your block I think you should have turned your right top block so that the flowered strips would have made a pattern....
That is the only thing I can see to change.
Scrap Quilter