Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   rail fence question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rail-fence-question-t209980.html)

Dina 01-03-2013 09:13 AM

rail fence question

1 Attachment(s)
I just finished a rail fence where I used three colors, and I am wondering if I arranged them in the best order. I had a light fabric (white) and I put it in the middle. I couldn't seem to find any information as to which was the "normal or preferred" order.

The quilt turned out okay, but I am going to make another with a light purple, darker purple, and a white. I can't decide if I want the white in the middle again.

I know there are no quilt police, but is there a preferred order? Perhaps one of you will have an expertise in this...

I'll enclose a picture of the quilt I just made. It is going to charity, and I hope someone finds it "cheerful." I was aiming for youthful. Hope I got that too. :)

Thanks,
Dina

Knitette 01-03-2013 09:16 AM

Your quilt is lovely and that's how I would have done it. Love the cat - are you sure he's going to give it up? ;)

LyndaOH 01-03-2013 09:18 AM

I think it looks great and I don't think switching the order would have made a difference. It is youthful, cheerful and bright. Nice job!

Quiltngolfer 01-03-2013 09:24 AM

I think it looks perfect! Very bright and cheerful.

quiltingeileen 01-03-2013 09:38 AM

I would have done it the same way also. It is a happy quilt.
Eileen

ppquilter 01-03-2013 10:05 AM

Love rail fence quilts, I have done one in blues, one in purples and one in reds. i have done 3 in creme/tone-ontones and i have 3 red/blues/cremes, in my albums. Love the scrappie looks!

Dina 01-03-2013 10:08 AM

Thanks for the compliments. My quilt inspector surely likes it. I guess it comes down to personal preference then. I am one who is totally unable to visualize how my quilts will turn out until I am done. I have been using graph paper to try to get an idea, and I think I will see if I have a light and darker purple colored pencil so I can decide how to go with this next quilt. I figure I can't go wrong either way, just wondered if there was a "preferred" way.

Dina

wesing 01-03-2013 10:18 AM

In my opinion, you are mainly looking for contrast between the two outside rails. As long as you have that, you get the correct stairstep effect in your finished quilt. By the way, I love this one, and I don't think a different arrangement would make it look better.
Darren

KarmPD 01-03-2013 10:20 AM

This is beautiful. Anyone would be very glad to get this quilt. The colors are very cherry.

Dina 01-03-2013 10:25 AM

Darren, thanks for the information about contrasting fabrics in the two outside rails. I have been looking at pictures of rail fences, and quite a few have the medium fabric in the middle. That makes what you say make sense too. So in the quilt I am going to make next, if my dark purple and lighter purple don't have a lot of contrast, I will be happier with my white fabric on the outside. Yes....this helps me a lot. Thanks again.

Dina