Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ran out of border fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ran-out-border-fabric-t259249.html)

Jeanette Frantz 01-05-2015 04:47 PM

Ran out of border fabric

This is something I've never done before -- I'll have to go to the fabric store tomorrow! Darn, that makes me angry! I was only 6-8 inches short on my border, but I'm not taking the borders off to cut them narrower -- narrower won't work on this quilt!

Sure hope the store still has the fabric!

Jeanette

Barb in Louisiana 01-05-2015 04:48 PM

I have used cornerstone blocks when I didn't have enough of the border fabric. Here's hoping they have it at the store. Would love to see what you are working on.

Jeanette Frantz 01-05-2015 04:59 PM

Barb, I thought about the cornerstone blocks, but there's really nothing that would coordinate with what I have. I intend to post a copy of the top I'm working on as soon as I get it finished. The blocks are all embroidered state flower blocks (done by my 87-year old aunt). I guess she got tired of working on the blocks. I could not find any pattern or instructions that she had, so I assembled the blocks in alphabetical order by state name. It looks pretty good, but I know there must be a patterned layout for this -- I just couldn't find it! Anyway, back to the fabric store I will go!

Jeanette

mom-6 01-05-2015 05:49 PM

I'm not aware of a preferred layout for that. I finished one my mom and my aunt had started for their hope chests as a HS home ec project. Don't remember how I positioned the blocks either, as it was in our house when it burned 15 years ago.

QuiltnNan 01-05-2015 07:42 PM

instead of cornerstones, you can have 'inserts' along the border that might coordinate with your blocks... like angled stripes or something similar. if you post a pic, we might have some ideas for you

Jeanette Frantz 01-05-2015 09:39 PM

Anyway, it you have any questions or about anything. I'll be glad to help, zJust send me a PM on the digest and I will respond. Thanks.

Jeanette

ManiacQuilter2 01-06-2015 07:15 AM

I usually run short of fabric because I am using donated fabric for charity quilts. I would try different suggestions such as maybe making a block as your quilt label?? I HOPE you are able to find more of the fabric.

Jeanette Frantz 01-06-2015 08:26 PM

Ran out of fabric for border

Well, miracles do happen! I went to JoAnns this evening looking for the fabric for the border -- believe it or not, I found it! I'm sure the clerks thought I was stark raving mad, but my joy was heard throughout the store, I'm sure!
I didn't get a chance to work on the border tonight -- but I have my supply and more than enough fabric! Thank the good Lord!

And, ladies, thank you very much for all your suggestions! You're the greatest!

Jeanette

Jeanette Frantz 01-08-2015 06:58 PM

The quilt top is finished! I'm going to try to get some pictures -- I'll not be able to get the whole quilt top, because it is huge -- that's okay, I wanted it to be large! I'll get some help from my son after he gets off work to reduce the size on this thing and post them then!

Again, thank you ladies for your help and suggestions!

Jeanette

Jeanette Frantz 01-08-2015 11:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]505346[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]505346[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]505347[/ATTACH]

Okay, I hate to post again -- but I got some photos -- This is a huge quilt 82" x 120" -- I didn't control the size -- my 87 (almost 88) year old aunt did when she embroidered the blocks, probably back in the late 80's, early 90's!
Jeanette