Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Raq Quilting Snips (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/raq-quilting-snips-t262542.html)

bearisgray 03-13-2015 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 7125781)

I have a pair of them. They are extremely sharp! The only suggestion I have - when using them have the hook on the up side so it doesnot catch the loop part,

That is a much lower price than what I paid.

thimblebug6000 03-13-2015 07:08 AM

A few years back a local drug store brought in the spring loaded fiskars on a special for $5 Cdn.... all 8 of our quilt group got a pair and that was all their stock. I love mine, although the rag quilts I've made were made before I had these scissors :D

SusanSusan33 03-13-2015 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Quilty-Louise (Post 7125811)
I purchased the Fiskar Rag Quilt snips years ago when I was
planning to make a rag quilt.

So far I have yet to make the quilt OR use the snips. But I will
someday.

Thanks for the laugh! This sounds like me-- With dresden plate template, Tri rec template, ect, ect... :)

slbram17 03-14-2015 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by redneckwoman (Post 7125652)
I've got the H F ones and I really like them

Good to know. I am going to pick up a pair this weekend. I have the Fiskars and like them. But they were almost $15 dollars if I recall.

Barb_MO 03-14-2015 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Latrinka (Post 7125900)
I have the Fiskars ones, got them at walmart years ago, have made lots of rag quilts, they are just as sharp as the day I got them. I also use them when I need to cut close to the edge or seam on things, don't know what I'd do without them!

I use the same one and they are good for a lot of things.

omaluvs2quilt 06-15-2015 10:44 AM

I got one pair of the Fiskars at Joann's, they were perfect...I gave them to my mom, now my second pair ordered from Amazon are terrible. Looking for a better alternative if anyone has any suggestions...

Latrinka 06-15-2015 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma (Post 7125863)
People who make rag quilts have my sincere respect. I made ONE, and I used the Fiskars spring-loaded snips, and I felt like I was grinding my hands into dust. They ached for weeks and I didn't even do a very good job, I ended up so worn out I didn't do enough snipping so the quilt isn't very good looking; it looks RATTY rather than RAGGY. I gave up and put it in my DH's trunk in case he needs to lay on the ground to change a flat or something, LOL.

The way to avoid the hand fatigue from the snipping is to sew a row, snip, sew another row, snip, this is what I do and it helps a lot!

Sewnoma 06-15-2015 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Latrinka (Post 7227563)
The way to avoid the hand fatigue from the snipping is to sew a row, snip, sew another row, snip, this is what I do and it helps a lot!

I bought a die cutter, now when I do raggy quilts, I use a die! My hands thank me, and it rags much better than even my best hand-done efforts. I think I'm just not patient enough to snip as much as I need to get a good effect.

redneckwoman 06-16-2015 02:26 AM

I have the ones from H. F. They are great