Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   A rather silly question... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rather-silly-question-t35587.html)

lalaland 02-02-2010 04:25 PM

I think there are too many needles and we don't need most of them. I use 90/14 for heavier fabric and 80/12 for everything else, unless I'm using metallic thread and then I use a metallic needle.

I change my needle if it gets bent. Just lay it on the flat part of the top of your machine, if it isn't straight, toss it.

I change my needle when I hear a "thwacking" sound when I sew. If it's "thwacking" it's no longer sharp enough for sewing so time to change it.

When you are quilting, batting can really dull a needle so listen for that "thwacking" sound.

I've never used a ball point needle, even when I've sewed on knits, and I've never had a problem. I use twin needles on my knits a lot, I love twin needles.

newestnana 02-02-2010 06:29 PM

My machine came with organ needles but I really never knew whether organ is a brand or a type. Can you help with that?

brushandthimble 02-02-2010 06:48 PM

organ is a brand

annette 02-02-2010 07:22 PM

Hello a question is never silly, dumb, or stupid, until you want to know the answer and don't ask, so keep asking question i learn a lot from other people question lol :-P

raksmum 02-02-2010 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Suzy
Don't ever think a question is silly if we can learn from the answers. Yes, ball point needles will and do become dull. They are made for knit fabrics so a hole isn't made piercing the fabric the needle moves between the weave of the fabric. I would not recommend using them for cotton fabric as they will make holes in the fabric because the tip has too round of a point, and the cotton fabrics have a tighter weave. Hope this helps?

Suzy

I am embroidering on satin and certain pieces have "run" or "pulled". I was just told to try the ball point needle on that but now am wondering if it will make a hole in the satin.

Oklahoma Suzie 02-03-2010 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by jbsstrawberry
I'm wondering...

Do ball point needles ever go dull?
I've been using one for quite some time now and it's still doing a wonderful job going thru the fabric for the donation blankets.

I have never used them.

vjengels 02-03-2010 08:45 AM

you could try sharpening it on a piece of emery board to get a little more use out of it. I think they don't exactly get more round,... but maybe more blunt, and tend to break the fibers when they go into the fabric.

katherine p 02-03-2010 08:55 PM

I really like this website. Seems like I learn something new almost every time I go on. And I've been sewing for over 50 years.

Suzy 02-04-2010 05:08 PM

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I would try the micro tec needle maybe a size 60 or 70. they have a sharp point but are very slim and nice for many different fabrics such as satin. I use them for piecing in quilting and such but when they are in the machine and I need to do other sewing I've used them with no problems. Make very nice seams. Schmetz makes them. good Luck

Suzy

annerose 02-04-2010 05:30 PM

Yes needles do get dull. You can damage your fabric when you try to sew with a dull needle. Ball points are for knits. Get some universal needles they work really well for cottons. The needle should be changed every 6-8 hours of sewing or even sooner if your thread is shredding or breaking then you really need a new needle. If you are using decorative thread then you should use a large eye needle for ex: 14/90