Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Raw edge applique - can it be done on my longarm? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/raw-edge-applique-can-done-my-longarm-t168728.html)

LucyInTheSky 11-17-2011 02:38 PM

Raw edge applique - can it be done on my longarm?

I've been looking at the Lizzie B Cr8tive patterns which include a lot of raw edge applique. And I realized - that seems like something I can do on my longarm...? It seems like it would work... I dunno. Thoughts? And do you usually use fusible web? Or just take a piece of fabric and stitch it down?

Thanks!

momto5 11-17-2011 05:23 PM

I longarm but wouldn't attempt that on mine...I'm sure it's been done by somebody on the Board but I doubt mine would look very good...good luck! When I do mine on my DSM, I use fusible web, makes things easier.

deemail 11-17-2011 05:30 PM

do it all the time and love it...i serpentine some pcs, straight along edge on others, zigzag like lightening on some, and then 'watermark' over the whole pc occasionally... add stem lines, floral details, round 'cheek' marks (that kind of back and forth curved stitching that makes things look rounded?, sliced apples and pears are easy and then you can add 'seeds' and stems and a leaf or two with just machine stitching...put a cloud on with little close edge stitch and then put a lightening bolt in stitching right under it... there is no end to what you can think of as you work...new ideas will just suggest themselves to you...

soccertxi 11-17-2011 05:54 PM

I fuse mine and then do the straight edge stitching on the long arm. Love it! Why don't you try a practice piece?

quiltinghere 11-18-2011 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by deemail (Post 4691724)
do it all the time and love it...i serpentine some pcs, straight along edge on others, zigzag like lightening on some, and then 'watermark' over the whole pc occasionally... add stem lines, floral details, round 'cheek' marks (that kind of back and forth curved stitching that makes things look rounded?, sliced apples and pears are easy and then you can add 'seeds' and stems and a leaf or two with just machine stitching...put a cloud on with little close edge stitch and then put a lightening bolt in stitching right under it... there is no end to what you can think of as you work...new ideas will just suggest themselves to you...

Huhhhhh? Got a picture or two? :)

lfletcher 11-18-2011 06:04 AM

I wouldn't be able to do it on my longarm, but if you think you can it wouldn't hurt to try on a sample. I do use fusible web. I don't think you would get as nice a stitch around the edge if you didn't.

LucyInTheSky 11-18-2011 03:34 PM

Why not on your longarm?

Originally Posted by lfletcher (Post 4693445)
I wouldn't be able to do it on my longarm, but if you think you can it wouldn't hurt to try on a sample. I do use fusible web. I don't think you would get as nice a stitch around the edge if you didn't.

BMP 11-19-2011 05:54 PM

I have fused it and then did an Edge to Edge...works perfectly