Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Re-inventing the wheel? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/re-inventing-wheel-t117282.html)

funnyfarm 04-19-2011 08:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I learn a lot of things from a lot of places, and I can't remember where I learned this. My apologies if I learned it on this board and just forgot. I use it all the time when hand stitching anything like bindings to keep my needle from coming unthreaded repeatedly. The recent topic of dryer sheets for knot prevention reminded me of this, and of the "quilter's knot" that I use at the long end of the thread.

needle knot drawing
[ATTACH=CONFIG]186305[/ATTACH]

erstan947 04-19-2011 08:26 AM

Thanks for this tip. I have done this and it really helps:)

BeeNana 04-19-2011 08:36 AM

I started using this knot because I was using silk thread. Now I find that I knot almost every kind of thread that I'm using. Same thing but I hold the short end so it looks like a cancer ribbon and put the needle through. Before I slide it tightly I make the tail as short as I can so as to not waste too much thread.
Thanks for posting this. It will be a great help to others.
Great illustration.
What a cute baby in your avatar.

dglvr 04-19-2011 08:44 AM

funnyfarm 04-19-2011 08:53 AM

Thank you! My first grandson, Jonathan, with the first quilt I every made, just for him, before he "was a twinkle in his Daddy's eye" so to speak. My daughter would kill me for that!

feline fanatic 04-19-2011 09:01 AM

I would think you must be using very short lengths of thread to knot it at the eye of the needle like that. If I did this My thread would wear and break at the eye. I am constantly sliding my needle down the thread to avoid wearing a weak spot in the thread and have had it wear through enough to break when I forget to do it.

But I also take a much longer than average length. When quilting I cut darn close to a 36" length and I run it through bees wax to prevent knotting. When I start a new length of thread it is doubled over almost the entire distance. Every few stitches I slide the needle down it. I rarely ever get a tangle or knot. I like 30wt best for handquilting so the heavier thread may also help.

I have no knotting problems with silk thread when doing applique. Usually take about 26" cut of that.

amma 04-19-2011 09:02 AM

Thank you :D:D:D

craftybear 04-19-2011 10:08 AM

thanks

luv-e 04-19-2011 11:08 AM

How cool.....Thank You so,so,so, much........

np3 04-19-2011 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
I would think you must be using very short lengths of thread to knot it at the eye of the needle like that. If I did this My thread would wear and break at the eye. I am constantly sliding my needle down the thread to avoid wearing a weak spot in the thread and have had it wear through enough to break when I forget to do it.

But I also take a much longer than average length. When quilting I cut darn close to a 36" length and I run it through bees wax to prevent knotting. When I start a new length of thread it is doubled over almost the entire distance. Every few stitches I slide the needle down it. I rarely ever get a tangle or knot. I like 30wt best for handquilting so the heavier thread may also help.

I have no knotting problems with silk thread when doing applique. Usually take about 26" cut of that.

This is my method as well. I don't like the knot at the needle method. It feels like a tangle to me.