Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   re:sewing with velvet (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/re-sewing-velvet-t27873.html)

maggiemuggins 10-29-2009 09:44 AM

Hi ladies..I have lucked on to a bunch of velvet samples from a furniture store and was wondering whether these could be used for quilts..they are not stiff but about a medium weight..also if I was going to sew them together would you use a 1/2 inch or bigger or smaller to put them together...

pocoellie 10-29-2009 11:26 AM

They would be perfect for a crazy quilt.

Moonpi 10-29-2009 11:34 AM

Consider how to wash the finished piece before you invest a lot of energy in it. A wall hanging that doesn't get a lot of abuse may be a better choice.

3incollege 10-29-2009 03:00 PM

I see a crazy quilt in your future :lol:

Olivia's Grammy 10-29-2009 04:29 PM

I would wash the velvet first. I was everything that comes in my house. If there is going to be a problem I want to know before I spend any time sewing. I made a crazy quilt velvet throw with some friends. It was fun we shared blocks and it has great memories attached to it.

Deb watkins 10-29-2009 04:32 PM

Definately see if it is washable! I used velvet for sashings in one quilt. Was a little bit if work as it tended to creep away from where I wanted it, even when it was pinned very well. Be sure to have the 'nap' going the same way when you put the blocks together. And with velvet, once you stitch it, don't rip it out, the 'holes' don't disappear like cotton.

littlehud 10-29-2009 05:44 PM

If it is washable it would be wonderful to use in a quilt.

treeboss 10-31-2009 08:33 AM

I use velvets alot in my quilts...can't seem to "conform" to the cottons and calicos and such...if it is washable or not, since most of my quilts have silks and velvets in them and would prefer dry cleaning anyway.

I would attach pics but can't seem to get them in here but, of the only two quilts I have completed, both used velvets, silks and taffeta...the stretchy stuff is tricky but, good pinning or a fusible interfacing stabilize everything very nicely and the really thin interfacing doesn't effect the "hand" of the fabric at all.

Olivia's Grammy 10-31-2009 09:32 AM

Do T shirts fall in the stretchy catagory? I've done a few of them. I always stabilize with a cheap pellon.

Darlene loves Chocolates 10-31-2009 09:36 AM

ARE YOU THE QUEEN OF CRAZY QUILTS OR JUST FANCY QUILTS?????
PLEASE SHOW US YOUR WORK, PLEASE.

Originally Posted by treeboss
I use velvets alot in my quilts...can't seem to "conform" to the cottons and calicos and such...if it is washable or not, since most of my quilts have silks and velvets in them and would prefer dry cleaning anyway.

I would attach pics but can't seem to get them in here but, of the only two quilts I have completed, both used velvets, silks and taffeta...the stretchy stuff is tricky but, good pinning or a fusible interfacing stabilize everything very nicely and the really thin interfacing doesn't effect the "hand" of the fabric at all.