Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Re writing a pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/re-writing-pattern-t313177.html)

cgsumter 11-20-2020 01:44 PM

Re writing a pattern

I purchased a pattern from a vendor on Etsy and the instructions were not well done. She had a beautiful design but the pattern was just fabric requirements and a graph paper diagram. Everything was half square triangles, even though there were several places where flying geese or other blocks would have been appropriate. I spent days re doing the pattern. Has anyone else run into something like this?

ibex94 11-20-2020 01:50 PM

I've had to edit instructions frequently so that I can understand what's going on. Some people can write well, others need more practice. Sounds like you have a really inexperienced writer on your hands or someone who doesn't care about what they wrote.

cgsumter 11-20-2020 02:08 PM

The cost was very reasonable so I am not disappointed on the whole transaction, but I think her talent is in design, not writing.
Also, having spent so much time re-writing a pattern, I have a lot of respect for those that do it from scratch on a regular basis.

tallchick 11-20-2020 02:28 PM

I have been in your shoes several times and its rather frustrating to spend money on a pattern only to discover that you have to write the pattern yourself for it to make any kind of sense. Yes, there are some that are simple enough to figure out on graph paper, i’d much rather spend my time sewing, thats why I buy patterns. I have nothing but respect for those that write patterns!

SusieQOH 11-20-2020 02:50 PM

If that was my situation I would contact the seller. I've done that before when something didn't make sense to me. Most Etsy sellers are very nice to work with.
I would never be able to write a pattern! I think it's an art form in itself.

bearisgray 11-20-2020 03:13 PM

It also helps if the illustrations are good and the measurements are correct.

quiltingshorttimer 11-20-2020 04:40 PM

yes--definitely have had it happen. I wrote one pattern for a friend's shop hop (baby quilt) and it was one of the hardest things I've done--trying to figure out if I needed to include everything or not. I do like clear diagrams and accurate measurements (and saying what the unit should be ). I do always read through a pattern and make my own notes, one of the reasons I prefer print patterns.

L'il Chickadee 11-20-2020 06:02 PM

Don't think I've ever made a traditional pieced quilt where I did follow the pattern. I always have to fix something, change the block size, change the alternating block to something else, change the colors, ad nauseum, to suit my taste. A self taught quilter for sure. Ha! Ha! I think knowing how to draft out a block, add seam allowances and figure yardage is time well spent. At least you have something to work with at the end. Unlike a crossword puzzle, which, after its done is trash can bait. But I do miss Eugene Maleska and his zingers.

SallyS 11-20-2020 06:14 PM

I had a pattern for a long time, finally decided to make it. The worst directions I have ever seen. The pattern directions said if there was too much fabric at the end, just cut it off! Now I know how difficult it is to write good directions. I wrote professionally for sewing magazines and always went over directions with an editor to make sure they were clear and correct. Smaller publishers just don't have that luxury. Still, too many are failing their obligation to their customers if they don't make a greater effort. I think books and magazines are generally more reliable than individuals, and it's a shame because some people are great designers, just not good writers.

Barb in Louisiana 11-20-2020 08:42 PM

I don't rewrite the instructions, unless the block is uncommonly complicated and I can't redraw it in EQ. But, if I see where they are making FG, with the same colors for both halves, then I just have to make them as proper FG. That's where EQ7 comes in. I am better at following a picture lately than written instructions.