Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Read the labels on the end of the bolt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/read-labels-end-bolt-t243947.html)

FroggyinTexas 03-26-2014 07:08 AM

Read the labels on the end of the bolt

I have bought many yards of fabric from Wal Mart over the years and have had no more problems with that fabric than with fabric bought at quilt shops. Last weekend someone on the board posted the picture of a Dresden plate made with bandana prints and when I saw five different bandana prints at Wal Mart, I bought enough to make a project similar to the one I had seen on the board. The fabric was with the regular fabric, not in the bargain bin where I have bought fabric to cover bulletin boards in teachers' classrooms, so I took it for granted that it was regular fabric and failed to read the label.

I spent yesterday cutting and sewing enough blades for four Dresden plates, 80 blades in all. When I had them turned and started pressing them, the fabric got sticky, especially the yellow print, which came very close to melting. It got hard, the way nylon rope does when you put a match to it to seal the ends.

What I thought and said is not fit for a family publication. I went to Wal Mart and pulled the bolts to read the labels, which said, "Made in India from undisclosed fiber content."

Mea culpa, caveat emptor and other reminders to read the label. I am taking the fabric back to Wal Mart, including the blades as soon as the sprinkler repairman finishes his work. I don't really expect to get my money back, but wanted to remind everyone to read the label no matter where you buy your fabric. froggyintexas

DonnaPBradshaw 03-26-2014 07:13 AM

So glad you posted this experience! I have also bought fabric at walmart but will be more careful the next time I'm tempted to buy there!

Onebyone 03-26-2014 07:40 AM

I buy some fabric from Walmart for quilts but only from the quilt cotton wall. Most are $7-$8 a yard for the quilt shop quality. If priced lower and not on sale I usually by pass it.

AnnieSue 03-26-2014 07:44 AM

A good reminder for Hobby Lobby shopping as well.

bearisgray 03-26-2014 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 6645725)
I buy some fabric from Walmart for quilts but only from the quilt cotton wall. Most are $7-$8 a yard for the quilt shop quality. If priced lower and not on sale I usually by pass it.

It is still a good idea to read the bolt. Sometimes people put stuff " wherever"

I have " assumed" that just because a fabric was with the all cotton fabrics that this one was, too. Not always so.

ManiacQuilter2 03-26-2014 08:56 AM

I also look at who is the maker of the fabric. Wal-Mart buys a lot of 2nd quality fabrics which are NOT 1st LQS fabric. But I noticed that even Wal-Mart's prices are going up !!

crafty pat 03-26-2014 09:15 AM

Thank you. I am bad about not reading the labels unless the fabric does not feel right. I bought some from Walmart that had a finish on it that felt like oil cloth but after washing it it was fine. I went back and read the label and it said wash before using.I will be more careful from now on.

Onebyone 03-26-2014 02:34 PM

Walmart buys all different types of fabric. Some excellent quality some not. I found four bolts of Robert Kauffman solids there last week mixed in with the broadcloth.

nativetexan 03-26-2014 04:18 PM

Oh my, what a thing to find out. India always tickled me being so proud of their dying of colors. Well they all bleed!!! I try hard never to buy clothing made there, much less fabric.

MySharona 03-26-2014 05:12 PM

I don't believe you have to worry about Hobby Lobby fabric. All their cotton fabric is 100 percent cotton. Some are not as good, but that's very few.