Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   reading the quilt pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/reading-quilt-pattern-t131658.html)

bj 06-19-2011 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jackie54
Thanks everyone, my pattern is Joesph's Pinwheel by fons& porter. I know its not a hard pattern, but I make it hard.It is in this months issuse book from Fons& Porter. I think alot of it is, because I dont use their choice of material, so when it tells me to say like go with blue poka dot material cut 4 7/8 wide strip, from strip cut 2 4 7/8 squares. Cut squares in half diagonally to make 4 half square. Now am I makeing a mountain out of a nothing.If you have the issue of the book it is on page 62.

Thanks everyone for your help.

One thing I do if there are lots of fabrics and I'm not following their fabric/color scheme is make myself a cheat sheet. I put up a poster that has my fabrics I'm using that I number from one to whatever. Then beside mine, I put their fabric reference in ( ). If possible, I go thru the pattern and write my number over their reference (I've been known to use white-out :-D :-D liberally!)

Jackie54 06-19-2011 01:00 PM

Wow ! I have to try this, I understand this. Thank you so much.

Raggiemom 06-19-2011 01:15 PM

Some patterns just aren't very clear. But like the others said, I have copied the pattern and marked what material I'm using on the pattern so I can follow along better. Also, if there are different instructions for different sizes, then I can highlight the specific ones I need.

Holice 06-19-2011 01:27 PM

Make a copy
read a couple times or more
then highlight those important parts or steps.

katier825 06-19-2011 01:35 PM

I have been known to re-write instructions in a way that makes more sense to me. I work best in list form. Anything that comes in paragraph form is a definite re-write for me. Especially the cutting directions. I can usually figure out how to piece something, but once you cut it wrong you're stuck.

ube quilting 06-19-2011 01:43 PM

Patterns can be simple or very hard to read. When I have hard directions I go through the m one time, making one block from scraps and take notes while doing it.

Sometimes I like a pattern but give up due to bad instructions. Not worth my time.
peace :D

jayelee 06-19-2011 03:28 PM

I take a small square of fabric and glue stick it on to the pattern in place of the fabric that they use so when I look at it while reading I see my choice and not theirs

carla m 06-19-2011 07:15 PM

im having the same issue with a pattern right now its not very user friendly and ive already made a couple of cutting mistakes.
i think ill be very pleased to see the end of this quilt unfortunately its a quilt ill be charging for and the customer picked the pattern. lets hope it goes better when i get to sewing.
carla

OneMoreQuilt 06-19-2011 07:23 PM

Many more people have trouble than would admit it!!! It may be that you are a visual learner....it may be that the pattern is written poorly! I have some clients that bring their patterns to me so I can work through them and re-write them (clearly, with samples and diagrams) for them so they can enjoy making the quilt without fighting the pattern!!!

watterstide 06-20-2011 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by jayelee
I take a small square of fabric and glue stick it on to the pattern in place of the fabric that they use so when I look at it while reading I see my choice and not theirs

Me too..plus i make a copy of the pattern to write on it..i use high lighter lot too..

it is NOT you!