Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ready To Free Motion Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ready-free-motion-quilt-t17563.html)

MollieSue 03-12-2009 05:38 PM

Great job Lainee! :thumbup: You're giving me the courage to try it too! Or at least getting closer to trying it... The quilt I'm doing now, I'm going to have to do something like this with it. Unless I win the lotto and can afford to have it done. haha.
Keep posting progress pictures! :D

Lainee 03-12-2009 05:55 PM

Thanks...it sure doesn't take more than a few minutes to realize the limitations of your new purchase...I now find myself lusting after 9"'s....of neck clearance and a sititch relgulator....or at least a machine that was compatible with a stitich regulator. I'll make the best of what I have until my boyfriend retires and we move south and there's room for a dedicated quilting area.

Justquilting 03-13-2009 05:11 AM

That's how I got started. you did a great job on your first try.
I'm looking forward to getting a long arm in the ..I hope..near future. I found it easier to move the machine rather than the quilt. At least for me. Now I dream of a long arm. I tried putting my machine on a frame but a 4 inch space wasn't enough. I'm looking forward to the day of a 14" space to quilt in. Keep up the great work!!

reneebobby 03-13-2009 05:23 AM

Looks really good. So lets see the whole thing

PrettyKitty 03-13-2009 03:01 PM

Good going Lainee! I just tried FMQ for the first time too the other day, I love it! yeah, remember not to hold your breathe, and try not to hunch your shoulders up like I did, made my whole arms ache. I found it helped to move the whole of my upper body around rather than just my hands/arms. Bet I looked a bit like a weird zombie though, lol. Keep practicing!

Quilting Aggi 03-13-2009 03:35 PM

GO FOR IT LAINEE!!! I recently started free motion quilting my tops and now I'm addicted!!!!

Quilting Aggi 03-13-2009 03:36 PM

Awesome job with your practice piece Lainee!!! you will be a pro in no time!

Quilting Aggi 03-13-2009 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by PrettyKitty
Good going Lainee! I just tried FMQ for the first time too the other day, I love it! yeah, remember not to hold your breathe, and try not to hunch your shoulders up like I did, made my whole arms ache. I found it helped to move the whole of my upper body around rather than just my hands/arms. Bet I looked a bit like a weird zombie though, lol. Keep practicing!

Another tip for FMQ if you don't mind, get yourself a pair of the quilting gloves. They are white with rubber tips on the fingers. They are great for better grip on your fabric as you move the fabric around under the foot. I would be lost without mine!

sandpat 03-13-2009 03:49 PM

Good going Laine!!! It looks great so far! I agree with Aggi....I was using quilting discs..switched to the gloves for my last quilt and ....oh my....its like night/day...they are well worth the price!

kd124 03-15-2009 03:48 PM

Looking good.