Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   ready to tear my hair out.....,,please help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ready-tear-my-hair-out-please-help-t116716.html)

May in Jersey 04-16-2011 11:00 PM

Check to make sure you don't have 2 blades in your cutter, been there, done that, May in Jersey

2000HD 04-16-2011 11:21 PM

Is there something under your matt?

Shelbie 04-17-2011 02:18 AM

Make sure that your cutting table is the proper height for you. If it is too high or low, you can't get your body in the right position to make accurate clean cuts. Also try to determine if you are using enough pressure. My one quilting buddy has trouble with this as she has some arthritis and doesm't seem to have enough strength to make clean cuts. We exchange cutting for binding and it works for both of us.

justlooking 04-17-2011 03:54 AM

Lots of ideas, hope one works for you!

Marion Jean 04-17-2011 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
Check to make sure you don't have 2 blades in your cutter, been there, done that, May in Jersey

Oh, I've done this, too. Took me a while to figure out why my cuts looked "fuzzy" - sometimes it just takes me a while LOL

sewwhat85 04-17-2011 05:09 AM

this happens alot

sewgray 04-17-2011 06:13 AM

I've done that also.

lyndaloo 04-17-2011 06:30 AM

I think the mat makes a difference, something I have just discovered recently. I had been using one of those gray mats, it was cheaper than the Olfa and I figured a mat was a mat. I bought one of those little Olfa mats with the turn table a few years ago. Right after that I had to stop quilting for a while on account of illnes. When I got back to quilting again a few months ago, I forgot I had the little Olfa mat. Then I was digging through my stuff and discovered it a couple of weeks ago. When I used it, I was amazed a how well the cutter worked on that mat. It did not skip at all, but the with the same blade it skipped on the old mat. I ordered a 24 x 36 Olfa mat and received it yesterday. I used it all afternoon with the same blade that skipped on the old mat, and it did not skip once on the Olfa. I love that mat. I cannot even begin to describe the differences in it and the old mat. No telling how many blades I wasted before getting it.

BKrenning 04-17-2011 07:27 AM

Make sure there's nothing under your mat and that you have it on a hard surface. Someone about 2 weeks ago was trying to use it on a carpeted floor.

I prefer my green mat from Joann's over the gray Fiskars from Walmart. I also have a June Tailor Cut & Press that sits by my machine for trimming and it is sort of bumpy so it will cause the blade to skip if I don't put enough pressure on the cutter.

LindaR 04-17-2011 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Boopers
Your new blade may have a nick in it. This happens a lot when you run into the corner or edge of your ruler. To avoid this, start your cut on the side of the ruler, cut back to the corner and then roll on to the end.

ditto, usually the reason