Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is it really BAD to use regular needle instead of quilting needle??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/really-bad-use-regular-needle-instead-quilting-needle-t179746.html)

karenpatrick 02-19-2012 07:59 AM

The quilting needle is used for machine quilting. A regular needle is fine for piecing.

vickig626 02-19-2012 08:26 AM

I mainly use the Universal needle too (usually size 12 or 14). But sometimes when doing the actual quilting, I might switch to a quilting needle (size 14) if I notice stitching problems.

Scissor Queen 02-19-2012 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by karenpatrick (Post 4988573)
The quilting needle is used for machine quilting. A regular needle is fine for piecing.

Schmetz says quilting needles are best for piecing.

http://www.euronotions.com/pdf/Schmetz_Sales_Guide.pdf

Dodie 02-19-2012 10:56 AM

thanks ghost rider for the link to that wonderful needle info I bookmarked it to always have it as I know the right needle for the right thread and or project does make a big difference

ckcowl 02-19-2012 11:02 AM

i pretty much never use a needle that says'''quilting needle'

i use sharps most of the time, universals some of the time, metalic needle when using metalics, and denim needles when sewing anything really heavy-
i'm sure i probably have some quilting needles- but only because people buy them for me on occassion- i prefer sharps
i have a friend who always uses top-stitch needles- they are what she likes-
use the needle that works with the thread you are using- and gives you the results you want-
if you visit Superior Threads they have charts you can print off the tell you all the different threads, what needle to use with each and what projects they are best for- it's a good resource.

Beginner10 02-19-2012 11:43 AM

WOW!!!! Thank-you ckcowl, ghostrider and Scissor Queen for the links and info to the links regarding needles.

This is like the question.."Do you wash material before you piece?". Everybody has their way of doing things.
I do know that the thread does matter (for a lot of people) on what type of machine you have.
Thanks again to all who have responded to my question. I have learned sew much regarding needles and thread.
Also, thank-you Dolphyngyrl (sp) for not telling the Quilting Police on me.
As I said before...well keep checking back on the responses to my question.
People on here are WONDERFUL :)

tjradj 02-19-2012 12:17 PM

There is no "bad" needle. Use what works for you. I never buy "quilting" needles just because they're more expensive AND fewer in a pack than my universal needles. Universal works great when you're using regular sewing thread. If, when you're machine quilting, you want to use a thicker thread, like King Tut, or Sulky, you should change to the needle size that's recommended by that manufacturer, because you'll need a thicker needle with a bigger eye.
Relax. It's only fabric. It won't bite you, and it won't tell anyone if you let a naughty word out, or two. :)

gollytwo 02-19-2012 12:34 PM

If you have Universal needles by all means use them.
The first 20 years I was making tops that's all I used.
When you run out buy Sharps or Topstitch in size 12 - they have pointed ends rather than a round end (Universals).

margecam52 02-19-2012 12:59 PM

You use Quilting needles for quilting the finished top (or, at least I do)...I use regular (universal) needles in size 14 for piecing.
And, no one knows what needle you used to make a quilt, even the quilting part. Quilting needles are usually stronger to go through multi layers of fabrics.
Marge

Originally Posted by Beginner10 (Post 4983928)
Hi...well I am just about to embark machine piecing my first top...nervous as everything.
Anyway....as I am reading different posts here and articles, I find I don't have "quilting" needles, just the everyday (I guess they are called "universal") needles.
So my question to all you veteran machine piecing people...is it BAD if I DON'T use a quilting needle?? I am using all cotton fabric.
All help appreciated.
Thank-you:)

annies-best 02-19-2012 01:00 PM

Me toooooo

Originally Posted by donnajean (Post 4983974)
I have always used Universal needles. My eyes are not good enough to tell the difference in needles & don't want to bother with switching needles with regular sewing tasks.