Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Really frustrated (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/really-frustrated-t37478.html)

berries 02-20-2010 02:31 PM

I'm trying to make my first quilt ever. I'm looking at buying a new machine but thought I'd be able to at least start learning on my Singer. The tension was all wonky and I finally got it set right and starting sewing blocks. Then the bobbin ran out of thread so I rewound it and then the tension was off again. I didn't touch any of the tension settings. The part of the machine that holds the bobbin acts like it is loose and while it is supposed to be an easy drop in bobbin, I am having a great deal of trouble getting the bobbin in and out. It is like it is catching on something.

Argh, maybe I should just go pick up a new machine and see how far I can throw this one!

PurplePassion 02-20-2010 02:36 PM

Do you have a manual for your machine? When you drop your bobbin , there is also a little hook on the bobbin case , to hook your thread around.

redrummy 02-20-2010 02:51 PM

what is the type machine? what does the manual say about the bobbin? sometimes it is as easy as re-threading.

jetnica 02-20-2010 02:55 PM

I have a "basic" singer too -- and man is it tempermental!

I was having the same issue - having to adjust the tension every few inches of sewing.

3 Things have helped:
1) unthread the entire "beast" and drag out the manual and rethread - i was doing two things wrong, and had been doing them wrong from 2+ years!
2)make sure the bobbins are wound TIGHT -- there were a couple that wound loose on the "automatic" thingamajig - and those bobbins would fight me the entire time
3)change the needle (found out from the boards) -- it sounds crazy, but it really does help.

I'm saving up to get a machine I can do free-motion with...

berries 02-20-2010 02:57 PM

I have rethreaded it several times. It is a Singer 2662. It is like the bobbin case is moving around when it shouldn't be. I had my dh come and look at it and he popped it back into place and get started and the tension is off again. I get it fixed, start sewing and then I hear a thunk and it is off again. Then I look and I cannot get the bobbin out. I keep having to get my dh to get it out with a screwdriver.

berries 02-20-2010 02:58 PM

I'll try changing the needle. At this point I'll try anything.

I'll try another bobbin too.

Sharon M 02-20-2010 03:04 PM

It can be so frustrating I know :( But Jetnica gave good advice. Get the manual out, change the needle, make sure bobbin is wound good (tight), re-thread. Lots of times those things "fix" whatever was causing the problem. My machine sometimes will keep telling me to check my top thread. I have found out it is nothing to do with top thread but if I just take my bobbin out and drop it back in it will finish sewing just fine. Some machines are more tempermental than others, true, but you can have problems with any type machine. So if you learn to fix the one you have you will be "king".

Sharon M 02-20-2010 03:06 PM

are you taking the whole bobbin casing out or just the bobbin? You mentioned DH using a screwdriver.

berries 02-20-2010 03:17 PM

I am just trying to take the bobbin out. But the casing is not allowing that. Dh has been using the screwdriver to pry the bobbin out of the casing because it keeps getting stuck.

Bobbinwinder 02-20-2010 03:30 PM

Sumpin' don't sound quite right...and the manual is going to be really important, I'm thinkin'. Sorry, I don't have this machine model... did you get the machine new or acquire it used...and has it been okay up till now?