Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Really Screwed Up (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/really-screwed-up-t269366.html)

verna2197 08-29-2015 11:46 AM

Really Screwed Up

2 Attachment(s)
I have made a quilt and already taken it and had it quilted. I could have sworn everything was fine with it. Got it back from the quilter and lookee here. Tell me please how to fix this mess. I have this quilt sold and am so so upset about it.

Thank you
Verna2197

[ATTACH=CONFIG]529175[/ATTACH]
Whole Quilt

[ATTACH=CONFIG]529176[/ATTACH]
My screw up blocks

QuiltnNan 08-29-2015 11:49 AM

I'd follow the advice in your signature :)

meyert 08-29-2015 11:53 AM

I am sorry you have this problem, I am sure it is very disappointing. The way I see it (just me not saying that I am correct) you can discuss this with the person and see what they think - maybe offer a discount??? Other than that you will need to get your seam ripper out. I don't think it will be as bad to correct as you think - - yes it will be a job, but at least its edge blocks.. good luck

ptquilts 08-29-2015 11:57 AM

well, I would say this is one you can't applique a flower over. In the future, check out all your work by either taking a picture of it (the whole thing in the frame) or looking at it through the wrong end of binoculars. I can't tell you how many tops I didn't realize had gone together wrong until I took a picture of them to put online.

I agree with Nan, you just have to take it apart in that area.

ManiacQuilter2 08-29-2015 12:24 PM

Surprised that your LAQ didn't notice it either and contacted you. If it bother you, I would just applique the correct squares over the mistake and only you and I will know about it. :) I have made some mistakes with Bargello strips putting the strip upside down but I caught it before I quilted it.

QuiltingHaven 08-29-2015 12:30 PM

You have three choices, leave it like it is (would drive me crazy); make a correct square and applique it over the block;
or gently take (rip quietly) out the square, and and turn it around. Hand sew it in and then very gently quilt it the same way either by hand or by your sewing machine. It is a shame that it happened. I call in my son or/and my husband and have them look over the quilt before I take it to the long arm quilter (I am surprised that the long arm quilter didn't catch it.) It is pretty and personally, that whoops would drive me nuts!!!

AZ Jane 08-29-2015 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7301065)
Surprised that your LAQ didn't notice it either and contacted you. If it bother you, I would just applique the correct squares over the mistake and only you and I will know about it. :) I have made some mistakes with Bargello strips putting the strip upside down but I caught it before I quilted it.

The way I would go.

zozee 08-29-2015 12:35 PM

Oh, I bet your heart just SANK when you saw that, and wondered how on earth?? I think a seam ripper will be your friend. At least it's a small area. I, too, am really surprised your LAQ didn't ask you about it .Sure would've been a whole lot easier to fix, but the bottom line is, it IS fixable.

peaceandjoy 08-29-2015 01:22 PM

I have a hard time with the scale of this quilt, so am not able to tell how large it is. Carpenters Wheels generally use pretty large pieces, so it could be anything from a baby quilt to a full sized bed quilt.

Seeing that you've got a buyer for the quilt, though, I don't think anything less than a perfect finish will work. That means that, in addition to taking the quilting out to remove and correct the pieces that are wrong, the quilting will have to be duplicated exactly.

If it's a small quilt, you could trace the quilting of the area that needs to be fixed, plus a little further, on a piece of tracing paper; shouldn't be too hard. Then carefully pick out the quilting to just a bit past the pieces that are wrong. Get them corrected, lay the tracing paper over and very, very carefully quilt over the lines you traced.

If it's a large quilt and I were keeping it, I'd still try that method. However, seeing that it's sold, I'd remove the quilting, fix the piecing and ask the quilter about quilting that area again.

It's too bad the quilter didn't notice it, but if it's loaded on a LA and then being rolled along, it's possible that without seeing the whole design she or he didn't even see it.

Dina 08-29-2015 02:14 PM

Okay, I know I am a different thinker, but I would leave it. I would contact the folks you made it for and show them. If they are non-quilters, they may not mind at all. The mistake makes the quilt unique, and I rather like it. If they hate it, then fix it so that it looks like it should.

(Don't throw things at me, please!!)

Dina