Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   really? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/really-t241142.html)

MrsDerf 02-14-2014 08:05 PM

really?

With practice I will be able to quilt my own work? I've spent six weeks and a lot of money practicing and still not even close to being ready to do the real thing. I have made so many sandwiches I've filled a dumpster. Is it possible that I just don't own that skill? At what point do I cry Uncle?

quiltingcandy 02-14-2014 08:07 PM

Have you taken a class in how to do it? Maybe if you have a friend or an instructor watch what you do then find out what you are doing wrong, or are you being too critical of your work?

auntpiggylpn 02-14-2014 08:24 PM

Hey! I'm in Michigan too! What part of Michigan are you in? PM me; if we are close I would be willing to help in person!

MaryMo 02-14-2014 08:26 PM

I've been told to hang in there .... and now I can see improvement (but still not as good as I'd like to be). I practice on mug rugs and placemats and small quilts for the dogs.

crocee 02-14-2014 08:47 PM

I bet if you look at your first attempt and then at your last you will notice a world of difference. You will get better each time. Greatness may not come for several years down the road but each attempt will be better than the last.

earthwalker 02-14-2014 08:59 PM

I too am frustrated by my lack of skill with machine quilting. I am determined not to give up and am continuing to rip stitches and re-do 'til I get it right.

AliKat 02-14-2014 09:44 PM

There is a book titled The Outliers in which the author explains it takes 100 hours of practice to be really good at something. So, the phrase: practice, practice, practice is actually true. Of course, some of us take a bit longer.

Peckish 02-14-2014 10:25 PM

Have more patience with yourself. I've interviewed some very good professional longarm quilters about their beginnings. Most tell me they practiced for at least 6 to 18 months before feeling comfortable quilting someone else's quilt.

I agree with the others. If you don't feel that you are making progress at all, maybe it's time to take some classes, attend some lectures, have someone come in and observe you and give you suggestions.

justflyingin 02-14-2014 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by AliKat (Post 6575803)
There is a book titled The Outliers in which the author explains it takes 100 hours of practice to be really good at something. So, the phrase: practice, practice, practice is actually true. Of course, some of us take a bit longer.

Only 100 hours? I guess it totally depends on what...playing the piano--or maybe one piece. ice skating? Wow..I'll bet those skaters practice hours per day! And they didn't just start last year. Now, writing the letter "a"...okay....but writing--as in writing a book?

I think I'd have said a whole lot longer than 100 hours.

Knitette 02-15-2014 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn (Post 6575739)
Hey! I'm in Michigan too! What part of Michigan are you in? PM me; if we are close I would be willing to help in person!

Welcome back! I bet you won't miss the European prices, lol!