Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Really, there is "NO" right OR wrong... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/really-there-%22no%22-right-wrong-t56787.html)

bejay28 07-29-2010 08:33 AM

There is NO right OR wrong when a person is FMQ'ing with a design....the meandering is all whatever you want. If the lines cross each other or not, it is up to the person doing the quilting. Correct? I have seen various FMQ's on this quilting board and as a new learner I am trying to gain some perspective on what is right and wrong. Insight is very welcome!

nana pat 07-29-2010 09:06 AM

OKayyyy...there is no right or wrong, just personal choice.We all have to start somewhere and practice, practice, practice.
I have meandered, looped and then I started quilting. Heehee! No, really, I learned to tie and only started free motion with my granddaughters machine. My goal is to, borrow her machine again, and make feathersl OOOOOOHHHHH, wouldn't that be wonderful?

sewgull 07-29-2010 09:13 AM

Whatever makes you happy. Some say never cross over a line.
doing FM on a turtle suited me better to cross over some of the turtles.

ckcowl 07-29-2010 09:28 AM

the difference between meandering and stipling is with stippling no lines touch or cross...meandering is just an all over design, loop-d-loops, stars, hearts, flowers, what ever lines can cross, touch, meet, what ever. and free motion is just that...you are guiding the machine freely, not worrying about a specific pattern, just quilting happily away. as apposed to doing a drawn design or a pantagram
hope that helps...
don't sweat the small stuff...just make and do what you enjoy.

franie 07-29-2010 09:30 AM

I still slip up and cross in meander. Let someone judge me! Just enjoy!

sharon b 07-29-2010 10:16 AM

Just remember we don't allow any quilt police here , so do what makes you happy :lol: Relax and enjoy :thumbup:

bejay28 07-29-2010 12:14 PM

Okay....believe me I am NOT the quilt police!!!! I have been practicing and practicing for several weeks, and I have now started to see other FMQ on this board and they are just beautiful! I am trying to get as good as you all arre! Now I have gotten pretty good, but occasionally my lines do cross. So, I was wondering if I am wrong.

Butterflyblue 07-29-2010 12:32 PM

Really, the world won't implode if your lines cross. It's just an aesthetic preference of some people (and possibly would matter if you entered your quilt in a competition). Some free motion designs have crossing lines, some don't. In stipple or meander quilting (I would call it meander, but maybe I'm not up on the technical terms) I think the general guideline is not to cross, but if one or two or ten little spots have the lines crossing, I seriously doubt anyone will notice, and it will definitely not affect the sturdiness or usefulness of the quilt.

mygirl66 07-29-2010 12:42 PM

Do what you like, and what looks good to you. Each quilt is a work of art, no quilt police here!lol

bejay28 07-29-2010 01:22 PM

Thanks to you all for the clarification! Off to quilting I go!