Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Recommendation for a 2nd sewing machine for piecing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/recommendation-2nd-sewing-machine-piecing-t302799.html)

edenzel 02-05-2019 10:54 AM

Recommendation for a 2nd sewing machine for piecing

I am using a Janome MC8200 for home machine quilting and would like to get a second cheaper machine to use for piecing. I am looking for an entry level machine that has the option of a straight stitch needle plate. Can anyone suggest a currently available make and model that supports this? Light weight and portable are pluses to take to classes.

Thanks.

mamagrande 02-05-2019 11:45 AM

My favorite light weight straight stitch machine is a Singer 221 featherweight... you can't beat the great stitch and portability in these old jewels. I use my for piecing and I also love my Singer 301..but this one is in a beautiful cabinet.

I am not familiar with the new lightweight machines.

Tartan 02-05-2019 11:48 AM

​For lightweight, you can’t beat a featherweight. Some of the modern plastic machines are lightweight but I don’t know which brand is more reliable.

Feathers-N-Fur 02-05-2019 11:56 AM

Check out the Janome Jems. There are 2 or three models. I know the middle one got discontinued but you might still find it somewhere. They are light weight and the cheaper one is mechanical and the more expensive one is computerized so everyone can go with their own preference.

NZquilter 02-05-2019 12:00 PM

The best straight stitch machines are the vintage machines. If you want lightweight and portable, the Singer Featherweight would be perfect. I don't have a FW (yet!) but I do use my vintage Singers as my main machines. Lovely stitches and super reliable!

edenzel 02-05-2019 01:53 PM

I used to have a Singer but it didn't have the capability for a straight stitch needle plate. Singer advises that, sadly, None of their current machines do. The straight stitch needle plate is the primary criterion. Lightweight is secondary. The Janome Jems look good but I don't see the SS needle plate as an accessory.

Thanks for responding. Still looking for an answer.

Onebyone 02-05-2019 02:59 PM

Well, seems everyone in my guild has the Eversewn 30 to bring to classes and retreats for piecing. It has all the features you need. I have not heard one bad word about them so far. Can't beat the price either about $400.

Dolphyngyrl 02-05-2019 04:59 PM

I used to use the straight stitch from my high end babylock on my low end brother. I love my lowe endbrother. It is a workhorse

Irishrose2 02-05-2019 06:39 PM

Singer 301. I have a 1952 and a 1956. Great at piecing and FMQ and only 17 pounds.

Jennifer23 02-05-2019 08:05 PM

Since you already have a Janome, I would recommend the Janome 3160. It's the same weight as a Jem, but full-sized. It sews well, is easy to use, has needle up/down, and is nice and quiet.