Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   recommendation for a quilt book (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/recommendation-quilt-book-t112955.html)

SueSew 04-03-2011 03:43 AM

I used "Quilting - the Basics and Beyond" by Jeri Simon. It has clear and practical color illustrations - even some left-handed ones!!! - and it stays open on the table because it is ring-bound inside the hard covers. It has some nice little projects in the back but I haven't tried them as I would rather flub up on my own and then search the Board for videos and tutes.

Not that you asked... but my advice to a beginning quilter is - don't try to take it all in at once! Let each quilt be something new to learn and don't be afraid to explore and try things. I pull out and redo my mistakes - things I can correct on the second round most of the time - but I've learned to accept my skill level and seek to improve it over the long term, and I get a lot of joy from the process.

My son might say that's his golf philosophy LOL!

susanwilley 04-03-2011 03:48 AM

I like the dummie books. Quilting is for Dummies. That and the idiot books lay it all out very simply. I think they are a good addition to the more professional beginner quilting books. My first quilt is from a block out of the Dummie book.

cabinfever 04-03-2011 04:01 AM

"Perfect Piecing" by Karen Costello Soltys (Rodale's Successful Quilting Library) a series. This book has many experts in the quilting field contributing to each chapter, all arranged in paragraph form with a photo for nearly every paragraph. It really covers so many important tips & pointers for a beginner to intermediate quilter. It is very readable in short bits, due to the layout, & not overwhelming to a newbie. It is not a pattern book.
I agree with 'SueSew', try something small at first, maybe a pillow (or hotpads, mugrugs), learn a little as you go, be forgiving of your learning curve & enjoy the discovery.

Mary L Booth 04-03-2011 04:04 AM

Log Cabin by E. Burns

KarenR 04-03-2011 04:10 AM

I think after you decide on a how to quilt book - I think you should put in a sampler book that includes directions on how to put your blocks together.
Then put in an Elm Creek Quilters novel. Great books to read.
Just my idea

justlooking 04-03-2011 04:20 AM

Yes, and don't forget a link to this site! She may do more looking than quilting, like me!

kathyd 04-03-2011 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by mltquilt
My first quilting book was by Fons & Porter. I still have it. The name is "Quilters Complete Guide."

mltquilt

This is my go to book, and I have been quilting for years. It covers everything and has pictures to help.

k9dancer 04-03-2011 04:35 AM

The It's Okay to Sit on My Quilt Book.

luvstoquilt 04-03-2011 08:24 AM

My first book and still a favorite is ENCYCLOPEDIA OF CLASSIC QUILT PATTERNS presented by Leisure Arts. I can spend an afternoon just looking through it!

JackieG 04-03-2011 08:27 AM

I found Quilting 101 to be the most helpful. It's a yellow, hard-back cover with lots of little beginner projects to help a new quilter get started. It runs about $24.95, but with a 40% off coupon from J/A's, it's very affordable.