Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   recommendations for basic machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/recommendations-basic-machine-t203693.html)

morningglory 10-19-2012 04:49 PM

recommendations for basic machine

anyone have a recommendation for a new machine, not too technical, i'm interested in basic sewing and
would like to machine piece and free motion quilt...?

newbee3 10-19-2012 05:04 PM

how much are you willing to spend??? You could buy a used machine from a dealer or private party or you could buy one from walmart

Patti25314 10-19-2012 06:03 PM

My LQS sells refurbished Singers for great prices. Even if you don't want to spend much, spend those dollars wisely. Take the machine for a test drive. If you like the feel of it, you're probably good. For FMQ, you either want feed dogs that drop or be prepared to do the plastic card cover method. Just make sure you can get a darning foot to use for FMQ.

AliKat 10-19-2012 07:03 PM

Make a list of wants and needs. Also realistically look at how much you are able to spend. Browse LQS's and sewing machine stores. Remember some owners trade up rather quickly if they have the financial resources, so a used machine may be a great buy. Take your time. If possible make the lookings 'outings' and treat yourself while you are out. Negotiate where possible. Take a notebook with you so you can keep track of what you like/want.

Check that the store where you buy your machine has classes and ongoing help free of charge.

You find many who are only going to recommend a particular brand over another. There are Pfaff lovers, Bernina lovers, FW lovers, etc. Find what works best for you.

Sometimes quilt guild/group members have gently used machine they want to sell and are just looking for that 'right person' to appear. Word of mouth is very helpful.

Personally I avoid the net because that is me. However there are some good buys 'out there' if you take the time to look. Estate/garage sales sometimes have great buys as the average attendee isn't into sewing/quilting. [This is where I got my good 'ol FW.]

ali

Jingle 10-19-2012 07:45 PM

No ideas.

Welcome to this wonderful board, you will love it here.

irishredhed 10-19-2012 08:41 PM

Garage sales always have used machines, but a lot of times they have been sitting around a long time and need a tune-up! Your local vac and sew always has used machines for around $100. But you have to know how much you are willing to spend first a foremost.

If it is a new machine, be very careful, brands that were amazing years ago are not as good as they were once.

Flying_V_Goddess 10-19-2012 09:27 PM

Since you're a beginner, I would stay away from the machines that can practically do everything. At least for now. Not that there's anything wrong with those machines, but you should discover whether or not you actually like machine sewing before buying something a little 'fancier'. I think its best to buy a basic machine and upgrade later if you wanted than to buy the machine that can do everything and find that you never even use the extra features, thus finding you wasted your money. But no matter what machine you buy, always do your research.

I bought a Brother LX2500 a couple months ago. I think it was $80 at Wal-Mart. I don't free motion quilt so I'm not sure how well it would do with that, but I can say its perfect for basic sewing and machine piecing. So far I've started five different cosplay costumes and did some test piecing for my fiance's quilt. And its easy to use. I'd definitely recommend this machine for the beginner or someone who doesn't need much to get their sewing done.

117becca 10-20-2012 03:03 AM

Hit the Goodwill/Salvation Army/Garage Sales and find a machine. I have an sixties Singer 247, it straight and zig-zags and has the ability to free motion quilt. Cost: free....

romanojg 10-20-2012 06:36 AM

Viking just came out with two Opals that would be great for quilting or sewing. Also, since they've just came out with new models alot of LQS will have either trade-ins or last yr models. I would ck into that; rather its viking or a different one. You get a warranty and classes

Dolphyngyrl 10-20-2012 05:39 PM

First you need to tell us budget because machines have huge price differences. I love brothers, low end I love my sq-9050 mid range if you have , around $400 I would go brother PC-420 has some awesome features, if you are looking high end just sewing you could go for a Laura Ashley nx-2000 which will run you $1800 my machine the dream weaver can run you over $5000 so there is a huge range but I have loved all my machines it's just what you budgeting for yourself