Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Recommendations for a new chair needed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/recommendations-new-chair-needed-t320768.html)

SusieQOH 05-24-2023 02:26 PM

Recommendations for a new chair needed

I need a new chair for my sewing room but don't have a clue what to look for or where to get one. I have a Koala cabinet (or Arrow) can't recall.
Any ideas? TIA

SallyS 05-24-2023 03:20 PM

Because of recommendations on the QB, I went to the Container Store and looked at their bungie chair. Love it!!! It conforms to my body and supports it, even though I'm on the small/medium size. They're having a 30% off sale, storewide, and I even bought a second one for my desk.

sewingpup 05-24-2023 03:39 PM

I got my sewing chair at a quilt shop, It is OK, but the chair I got for my long arm room which I used to use when I had my smaller mid-arm on a frame, I got at an office supply store. It was used, but I still paid $100 for it. It was made by Herman-miller. It is very adjustable and very comfortable. I would sit on it and roll along the concrete basement floor as I was doing pantograms as I was having foot problems. If I needed a new chair, I would again check out used chairs at an office supply store as it is the most sturdy and comfortable chair I have. I also got a computer chair at an office supply store, but again, it doesn't not compare to that used one.
Oh, and the reason, that used chair was for sale was that a large company in town changed their color scheme and did away with the dusty rose ones.

quiltingcandy 05-24-2023 03:45 PM

Decide what you want first - armrests or no armrests? Mesh or fabric or leather? Do you want it on wheels or no wheels? I like having the armrests that go up when I am at the machine, yet come down when I am just sitting at the machine ripping out a seam or pinning a seam. I like to be able to use them to push off when getting up after sitting for a long time. It is an office chair and bought from Costco, it had to be put together (which my daughter did for me). It gets warm in So.Cal. so I wanted a mesh chair. I am 5'8" and overweight and 68 years old. So that may also give you an idea why I chose what I did. My sewing room is carpeted, so I also put a chair mat down so I could use a rolling chair and not have it get full of thread and carpet material.

Onebyone 05-24-2023 07:09 PM

I bought the Arrow wood chair when it was on sale. I love it. It has great lower back support. I will buy another one if it goes on a good sale again. For machine free motion quilting, I use a tilting swivel stool I found at Office Depot on sale for $60. It keeps me up right so no aches in my back or neck. One of the most important things to buy for sewing after the sewing machine is a great chair that suits you.

copycat 05-25-2023 02:23 AM

I went to Office Depot and sat in the chairs to find mine. I looked for the ones that the height could be adjusted. Also the option of taking off the arm rests if I wanted them off to fit in the sewing space I would use it. I wanted back support and thats where testing the chairs out was important. I also wanted the ones with wheels. Good luck in your search and if possible, go in person to find the right fit for your body!

sahansen44 05-25-2023 03:36 AM

I purchased a Koala chair from my sewing machine dealer. That was 12 years ago. It is still as great as it was new. Very sturdy and many adjustments. A bit expensive but has outlived many office chairs I have had in the past.

rryder 05-25-2023 08:01 AM

I use a backless drummer's stool at my piecing machine and a saddle stool that I move between my Sweet Sixteen for quilting and my PC420 that I use for doing decorative stitching. I like the backless, armless design of these stools because that encourages me to get up more often and also, I have found that chair arms get in my way when I'm fmq and also when I'm working on something that requires me to go back and forth between my design wall and the machine.

Like everything, it's a personal choice what will work for you. I'm vertically challenged and found that most of the "supportive" chairs out there are supportive in all the wrong places. Also, sit in them a long time, preferably pulled up to a table where you can simulate all the ways you would move when working. I've found that anytime I go to an office supply store and sit in their chairs they really feel good at first, but if I sit in them long enough I start to notice things that would be a problem for me when working. Sort of like when you're trying to find a new mattress.

Rob

Chasing Hawk 05-25-2023 08:24 AM

I use an office chair my Doctor's office was giving away.It has no armrests, padded very well too. At my desk in the study, I have a gaming chair from a company called SecretLab, https://secretlab.co/collections/tit...2020-targaryen. It is a gaming chair designed by gamers. They are a bit pricey but well worth it. My husband found the seat is too hard for him. He uses an office chair we bought from Staples, a Lazy boy Aberdeen.

sewbizgirl 05-25-2023 11:21 AM

I love my Saddle Stool for my sit-down long arm.