Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Recommendations for Quiet, Quality, Small Simple Machine??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/recommendations-quiet-quality-small-simple-machine-t260498.html)

DebD800 01-29-2015 01:14 PM

Recommendations for Quiet, Quality, Small Simple Machine???

I have a Juki 2010Q that I use 90% of the time for piecing but I occasionally need a zig zag stitch. Can anyone recommend something small and lightweight that's quiet and has just a few different stitches, including stitch length and width adjustments? I'd prefer a non-computerized machine; something that's intuitive to use and of good quality. I was looking at the Juki HZL 27/29Zs, but another member (thank you!) told me theirs was a good machine but loud - so I'm still looking.

TIA,
DebD800

fruitloop 01-29-2015 01:24 PM

My friend has the quietest smoothest running machine I have heard. It is a very heavy older Singer. An sewing machine repairman told me the heavier the machine the quieter it sews. He may be right. I haven't heard what I would consider quiet sewing machines that are new. I have a Bernina and it isn't all that quiet.

PaperPrincess 01-29-2015 02:07 PM

For occasional use, I would look for a used machine. You can go to a dealer for one they got in trade, or check with your local machine repair person.

lovingmama 01-29-2015 02:09 PM

Try a small Janome. I have the Jem Gold, use it regularly for over 16 yrs. Never had any problems with it.

mea12 01-29-2015 03:36 PM

I must agree the Jem Gold is remarkably quiet (compared to others of same type). I like the MyStyle 100..it fits your criteria. Length is adjustable on all stitches and width adjustable on zig-zag only...the other few stitches are fixed. I don't know if Jem Gold has adjustable width or not. Pfaff Select 4.2 is nice too but if quiet is top priority...then look for an older metal kenmore that offers the basic stitches. They tend to crop up often and most are in nice condition. Singers are nice too (and quiet) but so many are straight-stitch only..except 401/500 series and the 247 made in Italy that offers just straight and zig-zag. I don't need another machine but would buy a 403 (uses cams for dec stitches) if i could ever find one...No free-arm tho.

mea12 01-29-2015 03:38 PM

Oh! I forgot the mechanical berninas...vintage..anything in the 800/900/1000 series. They are very quiet!

slbram17 01-29-2015 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by fruitloop (Post 7069097)
My friend has the quietest smoothest running machine I have heard. It is a very heavy older Singer. An sewing machine repairman told me the heavier the machine the quieter it sews. He may be right. I haven't heard what I would consider quiet sewing machines that are new. I have a Bernina and it isn't all that quiet.

I have some older Kenmores...not that quiet but heavy. Just my experience. Also, they are the super high shank (makes finding compatible feet an issue), and the needle is not centered (resides on the left, making it a little tricky for me to get a decent quarter inch seam).

I was not familiar with those characteristics when I purchased the used Kenmores, and I might have still bought them then. But now, I don't think so. I just want low shank, centered needle machines. I kind of like the top loading bobbin cases too, seems easier than messing around with the front loading cases when they need refills and/or unjamming.

My quiet machine is an older Bernina with none of the above issues, except it has the front loading bobbin case. But it was way too expensive for a used machine.

Dolphyngyrl 01-29-2015 04:29 PM

I hear the babylock anna is supposed to be really nice, its a simple mechanical, but I'm not sure how quiet is it

tessagin 01-29-2015 04:37 PM

my 401 sews like a sleepy cat. As long as she's maintained. Also my 2662 both Singers. 2662 is a little less quiet than the 401. My 401 is in a desk cabinet but you can get them by themselves. 2662 is about 15-17 pounds. They both do variety of stitches. If you go to the videos on YouTube, you can listen to them.

dflynn 01-29-2015 07:55 PM

janome Jem gold