Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Recommendations for a sewing machine for classes and retreats (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/recommendations-sewing-machine-classes-retreats-t256998.html)

SingerSewer 11-18-2014 10:23 AM

Recommendations for a sewing machine for classes and retreats

My machine is too heavy for me to lift. I am interested in getting a small machine for classes, guild workdays, retreats, etc. After looking and research I am at a loss for what is the best machine for me.

I have looked at machines in the big box stores, new & used at dealers, and on ebay. What is your recommendation for a travel machine? (Cost is a BIG factor!)

Thank you.
Jo Ann

Knitette 11-18-2014 10:28 AM

What is your budget? It's difficult to recommend without knowing this first :)

Dolphyngyrl 11-18-2014 10:53 AM

I love my brother SQ-9050 from walmart. I use it all the time when
I travel, my dreamy is 50lbs so thats why I have my small machine

sewingsuz 11-18-2014 10:56 AM

I just got a new Singer Prelude at Goodwill yesterday for $50. Last week they had $159.00 on it and I called them on it. They are retail for $130 on line. It is small and much better to take to class.

leaha 11-18-2014 10:57 AM

A singer 221 gets my vote, I love mine, and so nice and
Iight

quiltingcandy 11-18-2014 11:37 AM

Knowing your budget is important. My traveling machine right now is my little Europro. My husband bought it for me from HSN. It has a few stitches, has the acrylic table to go with it and is very light weight. It is in a case with wheels from Joann's that I got on sale. It gets used about 3 times a year so I can't say it is a work horse but it travels well. I also have 2 FW machines. They work very well, only straight stitch (both of them have reverse) but when I travel I don't need a lot of stitches.

My Europro cost about $110.00 after tax, shipping & handling. My little VW's were $180 to $300.00. There is a cute Janome Gem that I was looking at but finally decided I didn't need it. My sister has the Brother quilting machine she got at Costco - it comes with the extended table - she loves it and has had it for years! She took it to classes until I gave her a FW.

PaperPrincess 11-18-2014 12:06 PM

I would make a list of the features you can't live without. I would go to the dealer of the machine you currently have and see if they have any used machines that fit the bill. By staying with the same manufacturer, you can use the same feet on both machines. If you just need a straight stitch, I would look at a singer 99, or 99 clone. It's a bit bigger than a featherweight, and usually quite a bit less expensive.

quilter68 11-18-2014 12:23 PM

About 50$ at TARGET. I bought one to keep at my son's house across the country. 6 years later it still works. The cheapest SINGER at TARGET.

Sewnoma 11-18-2014 12:40 PM

Consider picking a machine that's the same brand as your main machine, so that bobbins and possibly also feet will be interchangeable.

GrammieJan 11-18-2014 12:56 PM

Look at Janome 2212 sold at Amazon for $149.