Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Red Fabric stained the dryer and the iron: do I dare use it? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/red-fabric-stained-dryer-iron-do-i-dare-use-t266238.html)

sval 06-10-2015 10:17 AM

Red Fabric stained the dryer and the iron: do I dare use it?

How can that be? I washed it and dryed it and it still made the iron red.

Is it going to bleed later?

Guess I can't say on here where I got it. But it was a recommended site.

SVAL

Geri B 06-10-2015 10:28 AM

I would not trust it...cut a piece off and put in a cup of HOT water. See what it does. If it's still a bleeder it will begin almost immediately. Cut another little piece off and rub it onto something white(dry)... See what it does. I would let the place where you bought it about it's problem.....BUT...I would not use it...jmho

feline fanatic 06-10-2015 10:30 AM

That sounds more like crocking than bleeding to me. Crocking is when there is dye transfer from rubbing as opposed to bleeding when it transfers when it comes in contact with liquid.

It is usually caused by excess dyes. If you want to use it, try setting it with Retayne.

Personally, I wouldn't use it and I would contact who you purchased it from to return it if you can. If you can not, get some Retayne and treat it exactly as the bottle directs. HOT water is necessary for it to be effective.

cindi 06-10-2015 10:45 AM

Yep, agree with the others. I'd return it. No way would I trust it.

QuiltnLady1 06-10-2015 10:56 AM

To test it, wet a scrap of white fabric and place a damp piece of red on top of it then set a glass full of water on top (this simulates what will happen in the seam). Leave it sit for about an hour -- if there is color transfer either use Retayne or ditch the fabric.

If you remember who you got the fabric from, definitely let them know.

I have had this happen with some very expensive hand dyed fabric and some from Joann's -- I contacted the person who did the hand dying and she sent me a new piece that she treated (she said she was doing so many pieces for the show that she probably missed the piece I bought). I was able to stabilize the Joann's and it has not bled since.

sval 06-10-2015 11:25 AM

I bought enough fabric from Marshall Dry Goods for a QOV. Mottled red, red with white stars, mottled blue, blue with white stars, 4 different beiges, and a patriotic backing fabric.
It was 3.99 a yard. I guess you get what you pay for. It doesn't feel very good either.
I will contact them about returning it.
SVAL

cmilton 06-10-2015 11:28 AM

I would not use it. If you need to get the red out try soaking a white towel in water and bleach. ring it out just so it is not dripping. throw it in the dryer by itself and turn it on. when dry the dryer will hopefully be white again. I did this when my husband exploded an ink pen in the dryer. when the cycle was done ink was gone and towel was white. i saw this on line. Ii had nothing to lose and saved my husband hundreds of dollars since he didn't have to buy me a new dryer. LOL!

sval 06-10-2015 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by cmilton (Post 7222796)
I would not use it. If you need to get the red out try soaking a white towel in water and bleach. ring it out just so it is not dripping. throw it in the dryer by itself and turn it on. when dry the dryer will hopefully be white again. I did this when my husband exploded an ink pen in the dryer. when the cycle was done ink was gone and towel was white. i saw this on line. Ii had nothing to lose and saved my husband hundreds of dollars since he didn't have to buy me a new dryer. LOL!

Thanks for the tip. Does it matter how much bleach and water?

calla 06-10-2015 12:16 PM

Sounds unstable to me I would be fearful........calla

cmilton 06-10-2015 12:19 PM

I can't remember but I just used maybe one half cup and enough water to cover the bath towel I made sure I could smell the bleach. I thought it was pretty cool that the towel came out white after the ink was gone.