Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   red fabric that won't bleed? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/red-fabric-wont-bleed-t260588.html)

MaryAnnMc 01-31-2015 03:30 PM

red fabric that won't bleed?

Hi All~ I'm planning a red-and-white quilt for a friend, and I'm looking for a brand whose red (close to a Turkey red) doesn't bleed. Kona? Moda? Kaufman? Marcus Bros.?? I don't want to risk bleeding!

Thanks in advance~

QuiltingHaven 01-31-2015 03:33 PM

Every red I have ever tried bled. Use color catchers when you wash the fabric.

susie-susie-susie 01-31-2015 03:54 PM

Red is notorious for bleeding, but I've only had it bleed once. You just have to test the fabric that you choose. I would wash it with something white (I use one of my DH handkerchiefs). Try a brand name fabric from a popular manufacturer.
Sue

Tartan 01-31-2015 04:33 PM

Abuse a sample of one of ones from the good manufacturers you have listed. Even good companies sometimes have a bleeder and it is best to find out before using it.

Barb_MO 01-31-2015 04:40 PM

Wash it with a color catcher in the washer, if it fades wash again and again, until it stops.

Jeanne S 01-31-2015 05:07 PM

I have used Kona red and it didn't bleed. But I did and would still in the future preWash just to be safe.

QuiltE 01-31-2015 05:15 PM

Wash/dry on hot along with a colour catcher.
Chances are it will bleed ..... however, I have had red that did not (and batik at that!)

Then treat it with Retayne ..... which will stabilize against future bleeds ..... providing the laundering instructions are followed.

I'd still continue to use Colour Catchers, as an added insurance measure!!

Jeanette Frantz 01-31-2015 07:02 PM

MaryAnn, I did a quilt as a wedding gift for my nephew (pictured in my avatar) and his bride. My cousin cautioned me that "red" might bleed. I cut a small strip of the fabric and put it in a glass of the hotest tap water I could get -- it did bleed. So, to make a long story shorter, I searched for a "dye setting" product -- Found it -- Ritz Dye Fixative -- the only place I 've found it was online at the Ritz website. It's not expensive, but I've never been able to find it in a retail store. I use my very large soup pot, fill it with water and use the product in accordance with the instructions, bring it to just below simmer,* put in the dry fabric, and let it almost simmer for 20 minutes. There is a trick -- if I have several shades of a color (red, for instance) I start with the very lightest shade first. I use tongs to remove the fabric from the hot water into the sink (just to cool it off), then put in the washer, rinse it, and dry it in the dryer; then, I add about a pint of water and a tablespoon more of the dye fixative, and start from *, going through all the various shades of red. By starting with the lightest shade and continuing to the darkest, you can save on use of the product, save time in the heating process, etc. MOST IMPORTANT, IT WORKS! (At least it works for me)!

Jeanette

grma33 02-01-2015 02:42 AM

I use a lot of red in kids quilts and wash with retane in bathroom sink follow instructions and after finished wash in washer with color catchers and never a problem
Gale

paoberle 02-01-2015 04:39 AM

It's inevitable. Red fabric is going to bleed. Just make sure you use color catchers.