Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Red Snapper questions for LA's (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/red-snapper-questions-las-t228194.html)

cindi 08-18-2013 02:54 AM

Red Snapper questions for LA's

A question for those of you using the Red Snappers (you lucky dogs!). I've been interested in them, but my frame is only 9-foot (due to space constraints), and I see they only come in 10 or 12-foot sections. Can these be cut down to fit my frame? Also, do they hold the quilt tightly? I tension my quilts a bit tight.

DebraK 08-18-2013 03:57 AM

Yes, to both questions.

Annaquilts 08-18-2013 04:02 AM

They are made of several sections and you can choose a combo that suits your needs. Yes they are easy to cut also if you want them smaller. I like them a lot but in the beginning I had to have DH put them on as they are tight. After I had used them for awhile and they were on a large quilt for some time they were more comfortable for me to put on.

cindi 08-18-2013 04:50 AM

Thanks for your answers! This are now going on my Christmas wish list!

mighty 08-18-2013 06:40 AM

Yes to both of your questions! I love them!!!!!

AliKat 08-18-2013 09:36 AM

Definitely, though I had to use a utility knife to cut mine.

Know that I needed help putting the rods together, and he used channel lock type pliers. Also, the first few times you use them they will be stiff, but this will get easier.

I got mine for 30% off at one of the LQS's. So you might want to look for sales.

cindi 08-18-2013 09:56 AM

Thanks Alikat. I was wondering HOW to cut them. And thanks for the tips!

DebraK 08-18-2013 10:14 AM

I was able to cut mine with kitchen /poultry shears. A pair of tin snips will work too.

eparys 08-18-2013 10:22 AM

I am actually getting ready to make my own snap on system.

I had purchased some Leader Grip side tension grips a while back at MQX East and was using some pieced flannel for my backing. I managed to break the snap on piece on the sewn seam and needed to replace/fix what I broke.

I decided that some smart person had to re-purpose an already made item to create these, SO ... I went in search of what they were - and found on another quilting forum that for the Leader Grip - the snap on pieces they were nothing more than a Rope Lighting Track!! These are sold by Amazon and like sites for $2.40 for a 4 ft length. I just ordered 6 of these and am off to a Home Depot to purchase some tubing that will fit them. It is identical what the Leader grips used and for a fraction of the cost.

katkat1946 08-18-2013 10:35 AM

OH MY GOSH, Betty! Now I'll have to check this out. It sounds like you bought the same side grips my friend and I did - and I do love them, by the way. I also have red snappers. I haven't figured out how to use them for the quilt top along the 'belly' bar ; if I snap it on then I can't get any where near the edge for quilting. They work fine on the backing because it's larger anyway. And, yes, they do seem to get easier to use. They were very tight at first and I struggled with them. Pat