Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Red Snapper type loading systems (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/red-snapper-type-loading-systems-t285167.html)

sval 01-12-2017 08:43 AM

Red Snapper type loading systems

I must be the weakest person in the world. I can't physically squeeze the red snapper type clamps onto the leader.
I can load the backing on the table at the back of the machine. I use my whole self to push it on. But the ones at the front that you basically have to squeeze with your fingers I can't do.
I guess it's pinning for me. ;)

patsews 01-12-2017 08:51 AM

Are yours new? Maybe you need hold one end down and then bend the other end upward toward the end you are holding down to open up the channel. I did this to mine and that seemed to help. Also I had my husband cut the long ones in half to make smaller pieces. They are easier to deal with for me. Hope this helps you.

PaperPrincess 01-12-2017 08:52 AM

I have the same issue. Not much problem on the back, but an issue on the front. They are softer & easier to apply if they are warm. You can try using a blow dryer to make them more pliable. They usually supply some short 2" pieces. Can you use those in the front? If you can, cut up one or more of the long clamps into small pieces. I cut mine down to 1", although I sometimes still just pin the front.

sval 01-12-2017 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 7739462)
I have the same issue. Not much problem on the back, but an issue on the front. They are softer & easier to apply if they are warm. You can try using a blow dryer to make them more pliable. They usually supply some short 2" pieces. Can you use those in the front? If you can, cut up one or more of the long clamps into small pieces. I cut mine down to 1", although I sometimes still just pin the front.

Are you saying you use a bunch of 1" ones all across the leader?
I know there's probably a learning curve to getting the hang of them, but honestly it feels like I need another pair of hands.(strong ones) Between holding everything in place and then pushing the clamp on.
I was ready to relearn my loading process, but then the issue of not having the finger strength thwarted my enthusiasm.
Maybe pins aren't so bad.
Also, how often should the needle be changed? Can't seem to find any info.

PaperPrincess 01-12-2017 09:57 AM

Yes, small pieces across the front. I find this quicker than pinning. DON'T go cutting one up until you try a small piece! I always use the snappers on the back. It depends on how long my backing is as to what I do on the front.
if i have just a small amount of extra backing, I pin. If lots, I use the snapper pieces. The small pieces may bump against the edge of the machine, especially if you are using a ruler base.

Prism99 01-12-2017 09:58 AM

I had the same problem. My dh and I took one of the mid-sized pieces to the hardware store and went to the dowel section. There we found wooden dowels that were just slightly bigger than the red snappers. (I brought my dh to make sure *he* could put the red snapper on the bigger dowel.) We bought half a dozen dowels. This step is not necessary, but when we got home my dh had me soak the red snappers in hot water in the bath tub; he said it would soften the plastic. We wiped them dry, and he placed them on the dowels. I left them that way for a week (actually longer because I forgot them, but a week should be enough). It's been awhile since I used them, but I remember I was able to load a practice quilt myself after that. The red snappers will eventually loosen with use, but I just couldn't wait that long -- especially since I don't do many quilts in a year.

tallchick 01-12-2017 12:30 PM

I lift one end up as I'm pressing down, but I'm not a fan, I will stick with pinning, but I do loveeeeeeeeeeee my side snappers, did I mention just how much I love my side snappers??? A LOT...........for me, sometimes tried and true is best, my hats off to those that can use the snappers and zippers to load a quilt.

quiltingshorttimer 01-12-2017 05:25 PM

I use them on front and back and love them--and they will lose their stiffness if used. You can use a blow dryer to soften them until that happens. I use the small 2" ones to center the quilt and "tack" down the section I' working on, then attached the longer snapper as I remove the little ones. I use 3 long ones front & back. I always attached the center first and then do the 2 ends(that are using different snappers). Also, I always leave the snappers on the rods on the leaders which helps too. also, someone suggested to use the heel of your hand and push the snapper on using the bar as the hard surface to push against instead of your fingers and hand.

GEMRM 01-12-2017 05:59 PM

I second what Prism99 says - using the dowelling allows the lengths to stretch a bit, making them easier to clamp on

soccertxi 01-12-2017 07:22 PM

I don't use my fingers at all. I use the heel of my hand and wedge it on using the belly bar as leverage. I also have found that I can leave a small (inch or two) gap between the ends of the snappers. I will have a friend over tomorrow to sew if you want a picture.