Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Red Work and Toile designs (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/red-work-toile-designs-t152.html)

SewSew2 11-27-2006 04:59 PM

Could some of you that do machine embroidery tell me if Red, Blue or Green work is the same as Toile work. I am wanting to do a quilt using soild color thread and not sure if the above is the same. Will need to order designs so think I will need to know which to order. I did order some from EL that is called Toile flowers. By the way they stitch out beautiful.

GeeGee 11-27-2006 06:58 PM

I'm just developing a love for Toile fabric, but I've never heard of Toile work. I'll be interested to hear what others have to say.

Becky 12-01-2006 06:37 PM

I love Toile as well since I'm a big fan of french country deco. I made a quilt, by embrodering 8' sqs in a french blue, design of birds and bird houses. Lot of detail work, then I used various shades of blue fabric for alternating sq's. This quilt is queen size. I then made praie points in blue and white gingham check, so the border of my quilt look like a picket fence. I love this quilt and I've recieved alot of compliments on it. To me Toile is similar to redwork, to me anyway. It's just useing a color you like and go crazy with just that one color. I did and it turned out great. GO FOR IT.

GeeGee 12-02-2006 06:53 AM

Edited to say; Just guessing here since I don't have an embroidery machine, but I would think Toile is more of an allover design while redwork, bluework, etc. is of just one subject.

SewSew2 12-02-2006 07:01 AM

Becky,

Thanks for your reply......wish you could post a picture of it. I am wanting to start one the first of the year and gathering ideas. I liked the idea of placing prairie points around the border. I am rather new at quilting, have found it to be such a challage yet love it.
Beth

Becky 12-02-2006 06:02 PM

Yes your right about Toile, it is a all over design, As to where red work, blue work, etc, seems to me to be of a theme. At least thats what I've seen of red work, Thats why I choose bird houses and birds, all different, but all the same color. I don't have a embrodery machine. All of my embrodery is done by hand. I like to embroder as well. I wish I could show pictures as well, My son has a camera that takes pictures, and he can post them as well, As soon as I finish my Christmas quilt, he said he would be happy to take some pictures of my quilts so I can post them. I also have a quilt I made for my gran-daughter thats made out of old hankies, and old dollies that are embroider, I love gargage sales AND FLEA MARKETS, I find some neat stuff, as well as estate sales where I get garbage bags full of fabric, for just a few dollars.

GeeGee 12-02-2006 07:33 PM

Becky, I'm looking forward to seeing some of your artwork. I'm always inspired by the work of others.

Becky 12-03-2006 04:31 AM

GeeGee
As you are inspired by others artwork, So am I, I love to look and see color display, I love to feel the work as well, sometimes tho it's not possible. I have found through my years of quilting, I lean more towards a message or a picture, I have in mind. I get an idea first, then I pursue how to relay the idea on a quilt. Thats another reason I love applique so well, I can draw out my idea, in pieces and combine them together to create the thoughts or pictures in my head. My family and friends tell me I visualize in my head, They will say to me " How can you see that in your head'. I tell them all, it's a gift that the Lord blessed me with. But I find that quilters all have that blessing, So I feel that I'm in a group that the Lord put me in, And it is a special group that can relay their feelings in material art. Aren't we blessed?

GeeGee 12-03-2006 06:43 AM

Becky, we are blessed indeed :D ! My process tends to be I see a quilt and it makes me think of a partucular person, then I just have to make it for that person. Of course aspects get changed in the process and it doesn't end up looking much like the original.

Becky 12-03-2006 07:31 AM

GeeGee

Is'nt it neat tho how a quilt will take up it's own design and personality, You start with a pattern or picture and the finished product is alway a little different. It takes upon it's self, it's own life so to speak.