Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Redwork question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/redwork-question-t225690.html)

Gail B 07-12-2013 08:35 PM

Redwork question

I am going to make a redwork Sun Bonnet Sue quilt. Should I use an iron on lightweight interfacing on the back of the blocks before embroidering or what would you recommend?

Nammie to 7 07-12-2013 08:38 PM

If you chose to do that I would recommend Pellon 101 SF - it irons on nicely and isn't too heavy or too sticky to sew through. Having that kind of backing ensures you won't see the tails or carry over of your thread.

snipforfun 07-12-2013 09:13 PM

I just finished a quilt with all blocks embroidered. I used a tearaway stabilizer.

kathdavis 07-12-2013 10:44 PM

One day I saw a vendor who sells embroidery patterns at a show. She had backed her embroidery project with a layer of muslim. She just hooped both layers of fabric when she was stitching. This way all the threads, knots, etc. didn't show. I have embroidered that way ever since. It makes great blocks for quilting.

ckcowl 07-13-2013 03:06 AM

I've done lots & lots of hand embroidered blocks/projects over the years- I've always just backed my embroideries with a light weight muslin- just like 'kathdavis' said- was taught to do it that way 45 years ago. some people choose to use some sort of stabilizer- but to me muslin is less $$ easy to stitch through, and works fine- so I do not spend the extra for some 'specialized' product. your choice- any lightweight stabilizer will work- I never heard of anyone using a 'tear away' behind hand embroidery before (snipforfun) said she did- I would be afraid of 2 things- the hand embroidered stitches being pulled out when I tried to tear that stuff away- and the show through- after removing it- since the extra layer hides the threads from showing through on the front of the finished block- seems like you defeat that purpose by removing it. (maybe she meant she did machine embroidered blocks & removed the stabilizer???)

Jackie Spencer 07-13-2013 04:50 AM

I also do alot of hand embroidery, and I always use Quilters Dream batting on the back of mine, it hides the threads and gives the embroidery a nice look. And it needles beautifully. Its thin enough, that I still use another layer of batting when the stiching is done and its ready to be quilted.

GailG 07-13-2013 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by kathdavis (Post 6174504)
One day I saw a vendor who sells embroidery patterns at a show. She had backed her embroidery project with a layer of muslim. She just hooped both layers of fabric when she was stitching. This way all the threads, knots, etc. didn't show. I have embroidered that way ever since. It makes great blocks for quilting.

This is probably a dumb question but.....do you wash (shrink) the muslin before using it as a backing?

dd 07-13-2013 05:15 AM

At the last quilt show I went to, the one vendor had red work done for display. Some of hers had muslin on the back and some had flannel on the back. I asked her why she had both and she told me she does whatever the pattern suggests. I would prewash all the fabric before I start muslin, flannel and top fabric. I think I'm going to try flannel on my next project.l

Tartan 07-13-2013 05:20 AM

I do my Redwork on a high thread count fabric, sometimes a white on white fabric. If the fabric is good quality I don't put anything behind it. I use the new "no slip" hoop to put it in. I used the '# 8 perle cotton thread that comes in a little round spool. It is 1 thicker strand so I don't have to fuss with embroidery floss strands. I love Redwork and have fun!

calla 07-13-2013 05:40 AM

For hand work I use a layer of muslin.........calla