Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Regarding Rotary Cutter Blades (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/regarding-rotary-cutter-blades-t309587.html)

craft 02-04-2020 02:13 AM

Regarding Rotary Cutter Blades

Hi everyone! I need to buy some new blades for my rotary cutters. I have a Fiskars Rotary Cutter and a Olfa Rotary Cutter. They both take a 45mm blade. Is there a blade that can work on both cutters without getting separate packages of blades for each cutter? I like to get my blades in larger packages because I find its more cost efficient.
Happy quilting everyone,
Craft

patricej 02-04-2020 03:46 AM

olfa brand blades will work in both.
most generic brands will work in both.

hobbykat1955 02-04-2020 04:32 AM

I buy generic brands thru Amazon...Seem to last longer then name brand and much cheaper

Onebyone 02-04-2020 04:40 AM

I have no complaints about the Quilting Blade brand and the Improved Cut brand five packs from Amazon.

juliasb 02-04-2020 05:56 AM

I have gone to buying the least expensive blades I can find and for right now that is at Harbor Freight in the area where they sell carpet cutters. The 45mm blades are $2 for 2 blades. Sometimes less with a coupon or sale. I don't worry about nicking a blade and they last me as long as most more expensive blades.

SusieQOH 02-04-2020 06:11 AM

Hi Craft! I've also bought them on Amazon and been pleased. Much cheaper prices.

grammasharon 02-04-2020 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by hobbykat1955 (Post 8357758)
I buy generic brands thru Amazon...Seem to last longer then name brand and much cheaper

This is where I get mine also. Usually in 10 packs. I purchased several packages at Harbor Freight and I could not find one in 14 that worked. I know some people like them, wish I had better experience with them because they certainly would be cheaper.
grammasharon

Still Sew N 02-04-2020 06:35 AM

I will also add that the Olfa brand blades are just not that great. I too have had great luck with the blades from Amazon. I was made aware of the inferior quality of Olfa Endurance blades after purchasing them and they did not last. Numerous attempts were made to Olfa by both mail and email. I even sent them my slightly used Endurance blade so that they could see how the blade just did not hold up. Never heard back from Olfa. I will be purchasing the off brands from Amazon. They are more affordable and last just as long as other brands.

Iceblossom 02-04-2020 08:12 AM

Blades seem expensive and it's awful when you just replace one and then nick it. But along with sewing machine needles they are one of the best, easiest, and ultimately cheapest way to help improve our projects. I know this and I still let it go too long before I change my blades. I try to reduce the cost and the likelihood of me actually replacing them and buy them in multi-packs.

I have a sharpener thing too, I find it largely useless but wonder if maybe it would be just the thing needed for the new cheap blades that aren't working well.

A few years ago, I was able to buy some cheap terrible handled rotary cutters on sale for about $3 each, I took out the blades from them and put them in my regular handle and threw away the plastic...

judykay 02-04-2020 08:27 AM

Harbour Freight Blades

Originally Posted by juliasb (Post 8357795)
I have gone to buying the least expensive blades I can find and for right now that is at Harbor Freight in the area where they sell carpet cutters. The 45mm blades are $2 for 2 blades. Sometimes less with a coupon or sale. I don't worry about nicking a blade and they last me as long as most more expensive blades.

Have they changed the blades? The last few packs I have tried just chew up my fabric and won't even cut clean if at all.