Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Remember when? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/remember-when-t264323.html)

Macybaby 04-22-2015 08:59 AM

We only had scissors to cut fabric with?

I've sewed mostly clothing, and I still use scissors for that. I bought my first rotary cutter a few years ago, when I started quilting.

Sewing machines only sewed straight lines?

Most of mine only sew in straight lines. When I was a kid, as we got "good enough" my Mom let us use the fancy zigzag machine. All 11 of us learned to sew on a Singer 201.

Electric irons were only "dry"

Now I'd pay a lot to get a really nice dry iron. Burned out the new one, so I'm back to using a vintage one.

We "made" starch at home

My mom rarely starched anything - the cows and crops would not have have been impressed. I never learned out to use starch, and still rarely do.

Cotton, wool, silk, and linen were the only fibers available for fabric? (also jute for burlap)

Nope - but I do remember when leisure suits were in style, and double-knit was the "in" fabric.

Fabrics and thread came with a "boilfast" label?

Got lots and lots of vintage spools with that one them.

Pieces were cut out one at a time - templates were not made of plastic - cardboard, metal, paper

I don't remember using templates - I remember using the ruler to draw lines on the fabric and then cutting - and then sewing pieces together one at a time - no strip sewing and then cutting. Sure like the "newer" ways better!

TexasSunshine 04-22-2015 09:01 AM

I remember many of the things listed above, wringer washers, starching in the washer & putting in frig or icebox, as we called it, till ready to iron.

ontheriver 04-22-2015 09:29 AM

Wish I still had a dry iron!

juneayerza 04-22-2015 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by scrapinmema (Post 7173140)
Oh YES, I do remember all of these things, we also had the wringer washer and tubs for rinse. We always started with white close and finished with jeans. Everything was washed and rinsed in the same water. We also made our own starch.

We also made our templates with cardboard and later with sandpaper. Boy does this bring back a lot of fond memories.

This was the way it was at our house too when I was a younger child. I'm glad to remember it, but I'm glad for all the modern conveniences I have today.

Pennyhal 04-22-2015 10:24 AM

Yep. Remember it all.

JenniePenny 04-22-2015 10:33 AM

No, it was all before my quilting start date in 2004. My relatives didn't quilt. I appreciate all the advances that have been made.

auntnana 04-22-2015 11:06 AM

What I use for doorstops are the solid cast iron irons that my mom heated up on the wood cook stove growing up. I can't imagine ironing with one of those heavy things. No wonder they called them sad irons! The cook stove I also still have, just waiting for a restoration job. I have often wondered what my Granny would think if she saw me go to a fabric store and drop $100+ for the fabric and notions to make a quilt when she made her quilts from leftovers of making her kids clothes and whatever she could scrape together. Boy the times have sure changed. For the better? Some days I say yes, other days I have my doubts.

Onebyone 04-22-2015 11:37 AM

When people tell me how their great grandmother made 'real' quilts I say that's because they didn't have the new tools we have today. And if they did can you imagine the masterpieces that they would have made? Many gave up making quilts when their hands no longer could manage scissors or hand stitching even thought they loved doing it.

bearisgray 04-22-2015 12:48 PM

I find it amazing that some of those old quilts are such masterpieces!

MaryKatherine 04-22-2015 01:16 PM

'fraid so..... how fast things have changed.