Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Remembrance item ideas? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/remembrance-item-ideas-t297009.html)

redstilettos 05-18-2018 08:04 AM

Remembrance item ideas?

I recently lost my mom, and would like to make each of the three grandchildren a remembrance item out of mom's clothing for Christmas this year. I'm not sure how much cotton she wore.

I know people do pillows, but are there other ideas? Are there things you can do with jersey material as well as cotton? Or blue jeans? Or....what do people do?

I'm at a bit of a loss.
Literally.

Thanks in advance
red

sewingsuz 05-18-2018 08:24 AM

I am so sorry for your loss. I made a bear out of a child's jacket and it turn out nice.

Tartan 05-18-2018 09:06 AM

If the fabrics are not cotton then a stuffed animal is a good idea. I have saved a cotton night gown of my mother's that I want to do paper pieced sun dresses with it. I will make 3 blocks and turn them into mug rugs tor my sisters. Sorry for the loss of your mother!

WANNABEE 05-18-2018 10:27 AM

I made a pillow for my niece and nephew and a rag quilt for my sister in law from my brother's shirts.

Earleen 05-18-2018 04:27 PM

Memory pillows I make then and add a label that says. This is a shirt I used to wear when you hold it know that I am there. Love I used Papa on the last ones. You can add names or knick names etc.

illinois 05-19-2018 02:58 AM

I have made several projects from my husband's shirts. You will be amazed how much fabric can be garnered from a shirt! The first projects were for our children and made into 38" wall hangings and several others that are smaller hangings using Dresden plates. This winter I made a queen size quilt for myself--and I still have the backs from the shirts waiting for another inspiration! Granted, these projects were "scrappy" but there is a lot of fabric in a shirt. I found most of his shirts were poly/cotton blend and a few were more "rayon" but I put everything in and it works. If you are contemplating jersey, I'd put a backing on that because it is so stretchy. I found the poly/cotton blends looked nicer as poly holds color better than straight cotton so still looks fresh in the recycling. Too,I think it is a stronger fiber.

youngduncan 05-19-2018 03:48 AM

I've done bears as remembrance items very successfully. The problems with them arose when I found that the fabrics were basically cotton knits. I used fusible woven interfacing to stabilize each of the pieces of fabric I cut from the garments. After I cut the pattern pieces for the bears and got them sewn together, there was enough body to do the mouths using regular embroidery floss without any puckering. I used purchased bear eyes from a local craft store since these bears were for adults.

I wish I could remember what kind of woven interfacing I used. The brand name escapes me, but I know I need another bolt or two for t-shirt quilts in the near future.

sewbizgirl 05-19-2018 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by youngduncan (Post 8060796)

I wish I could remember what kind of woven interfacing I used. The brand name escapes me, but I know I need another bolt or two for t-shirt quilts in the near future.

French Fuse?

I was also going to say stuffies out of your mom's clothes would be sweet. Especially for kids. Dogs, bears, cats, whatever animals they like.

Very sorry for your loss, Red.

Homespun 05-19-2018 05:23 AM

A friend gave me a flowery T-shirt and a pair of soft denim pants her mother wore. I cut them into squares and made a simple quilt.

My time 05-19-2018 11:12 AM

So sorry for your loss. In my own humble opinion you can put anything in a crazy quilt or pillow. I know because I have. You just need some stabilizers for the knits or lighter weight fabrics.