Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Removing black threads from white fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/removing-black-threads-white-fabric-t286008.html)

MFord 02-11-2017 01:10 PM

Removing black threads from white fabric

I am making a king-size black and white quilt, and I have no idea how I'm going to get off all the black threads and fluff that are on the white blocks! I've use a lint roller, scissors, picking up, small vacuum, and swearing, but as soon as I'm done they creep back over! Have you any suggestions for when I do the final check before quilting? Thanks!

Jane Quilter 02-11-2017 01:18 PM

when the quilt top is done, I re-trim seam and lint roll, which may not be good enough for black and white. At this extream would fray check the seams and tweeser up any loose threads after it dries.

I have to do this when seams are pressed open.....but if you pressed to the dark side, i am surprised a black thread could creep to the white block.

MFord 02-11-2017 01:28 PM

Jane - I bought two dark grays, one at an inexpensive store and one at a nice quilt shop. It's the quilt shop fabric that's fraying and creeping all over! Plus I'm using black strips from a Moda jelly roll, and they are as linty as anything you've ever seen. Thanks for the Fray Check idea - but would that leave a hard residue?

Tartan 02-11-2017 01:29 PM

When I get a top ready for quilting, I wrap painter's tape around my left hand several times with the sticky out, I then trim with my little scissors any loose threads and stick then to my left hand. Once you have all the black threads off, quilt. If I get an occasional thread showing after the quilting, I have a tiny crochet hook ( size of a pin) that goes between the fabric weave and fetch them out.

cathyvv 02-11-2017 02:03 PM

That happened to me on my granddaughters quilt. Quilt shop fabric was fraying the 1/4 inch seam away as I sewed.a Fortunately, it was not black and white. However, what should have been a very pretty quilt, was not.

I named it "The Quilt From Hell". She loved the name of the quilt way more than the quilt!

popover 02-11-2017 02:19 PM

I just wash them. Pretty much takes care of it all with a short spin in the dryer after.

quiltingshorttimer 02-11-2017 08:55 PM

if all the threads are clipped, I'd first take it outside and shake out really hard off the deck!

Irishrose2 02-11-2017 08:58 PM

10 minutes in the dryer with a damp towel works for me. I used to add a dryer sheet, but no longer purchase those.

QuiltE 02-11-2017 09:11 PM

A solid white or black background always seem to show the imperfections more.
This may be no worse than you are used to, but with the strong contrast between the B+W, perhaps it is just showing more?

It has been my experience that if I use Best Press throughout, it helps to "seal" the fabric and minimize fraying .... ultimately minimizing the loose threads! And even seems to help put a protective finish to avoid clinging threads!

I don't think you can eliminate them totally, but do the best that you can as you make your quilt. And then do an extra-good job of cleaning it up before sandwiching your quilt and starting the quilting process.

Another tip ... keep your cutting table, sewing and ironing areas cleaned up as you go. if there is lint and threads hanging around they just seem to jump onto our projects!! :)

ragamuffin 02-11-2017 09:15 PM

Starch usually helps in this situation. Use it on the back of the black so it doesn't shine. Hope this helps.